How To Make Radiator Cover

Hi
Ive Bought a thin piece of hardwood but im unsure as to wether the wood is ok to put over a radiator and also i want to cut out a design in the wood , ive got a dremel with loads of bits i was wondering if anyone could give me any tips (im totally new to D.I.Y but im desperate to start doing things myself
thanks
--
Clair

I built radiator covers a few years ago out of MDF. I just put a two inch strip on each side and in the middle to minimize the amount of MDF sitting on the the radiator. Haven't had a problem with them at all. If you are using real wood I would worry about drying it out and having it crack or warp.
Scott

Check out www.thewoodworkingchannel.com the great British woodshop has a clip occasionally on building one.

I had to build one, or more correctly "incorporate one", a while ago when I designed a built-in wall unit for the livingroom. There was a raciator right smack in the middle of the wall. I built around it, leaving lots of space for access - it's one of those modern, low radiators with the flip-up sheet metal cover, as opposed to a tall cast one. I mulled over the grille for a while, and though I love the look of the old wood covers and thought of ways to make a nice grille, I opted for something a bit different. The local hardware store sells aluminium grilles in 2' x 3' sheets, with a variety of nice looking cutout patterens. I built a wood frame and mounted the grille onto it. With a few squares of strong Velcro, I can now pull the frame off the built-in very easily in order to access the rad for yearly bleeding. As a fringe benefit, the space is wide enough to store a big telescope tripod in, nice and close to the door to the back deck. I lined the top of the cavity with foil-covered bubble wrap because the stereo is directly above the radiator, and lo and behold, even in mid winter, the cabinet holding the stereo isn't even a bit warm.
--
Bob

Travel and Astronomy Photos