How to make an MDF blade

Page 2 of 2
On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 03:08:54 GMT, Larry Jaques

Funny thing about the $4.99 HFT blades. I bought one just to see what it was like, and it wasn't much. Tended to burn right from the start. I was ripping a bunch of 2x4s down to make furring strips and it finally got to the point it wasn't getting the job done. Just out of curiosity I had it sharpened (OK, spending $15 to sharpen a $5 blade doesn't make sense, but bear with me here). When I got it back it cut smoothly and without burning. I used it for a bunch of work after that and it did a real good job for me. Cheap blades have smaller carbide teeth so they can't be sharpened as many times, lower grade carbide and bad factory sharpening jobs. Taken as a whole they are barely adequate as delivered for cutting salvage lumber.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com