How to make an MDF blade

Page 1 of 2
DAMN!
30 minutes ago, I was ripping down an old table top to reuse the wood for more clamp racks. I HIT A BURIED SCREW!!! There was no indication of any screws at all in this top.
This was with a NICE, low time Freud Industrial 50T blade.
Some of the teeth do not look like a sharpening would be enough to save the blade.
DAMN!!!
Barry
They make nice clock faces for the shop.....pricey but they blend right in with the surroundings............;-)
Shoulda seen the sparks fly on mine....Zoweeeee! Scratch one Freud.
Bob S.
in message

"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." wrote:

A decent saw shop should be able to replace the teeth.
"> 30 minutes ago, I was ripping down an old table top to reuse the wood

You might be able to get the teeth replaced? Did you use a good metal detector on the table top at all? If not, buying one can save lots of $$. Amazon has the Lumber Wizard one sale at the moment for $69.99. http://tinyurl.com/3f7g7
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 5 Reviews: - Workshop Essentials Under $30 - Festool PS 300 Jigsaws - Delta Universal Tenoning Jig - Ryobi Reciprocating Saw - Infinity Router Bits ------------------------------------------------------------
On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 14:06:26 +1000, "SawEyes"
I'm looking into that, but we'll see if a $60 blade is worth repairing. Coastal's got WWII's for $89, I picked one up yesterday, which will allow me to take my time investigating fixing the Freud.

20-20 hindsight now. <G> I rarely use recycled lumber. This screw was IN the wood, in the middle of a board.

It will be my next purchase, along with another blade. I know I should be using one even with non-recycled wood.
Barry
B a r r y B u r k e J r . said:

In a recent bout of repairing termite damage to the house, I bought 5 sheets of OSB (at greatly inflated prices). While cutting/fitting the sheathing, I noticed a strange 'bump' on the surface of one panel.
Turns out, LP had pressed a very large bolt that had fallen from the machinery into the 'plys' of the wood. This sheet made it all the way through dimensioning, Q.C., and beyond. Great stuff.
I guess the point is, even new cabinet grade plywood *could* have things in it that aren't supposed to be there.
Greg G.
On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 10:50:10 -0500, Greg G. wrote:

I've found small shavings of metal in the glueline of cabinet ply lots of times.     Bridger
I'd be hot ! <Greg G.> wrote in message

Barry, Take a look in your local TELEPHONE BOOK. Look for a 'Saw Sharpening Service'. One near me charges $2.50 per tooth for carbide replacement, and probably about $5.oo for the whole tooth.
I found out about them from a local 'Tool Rental' establishment. They normally charge for 'sharpening' and would be rather reticent to tell you who does it for them. However, in my case, they weren't at all sure about tooth replacement, so they told me to 'go direct'.
in message wrote:

SNIP

I did before I looked online. I was going to ask some locals in person tomorrow.
In the past, I've posted inquires for Connecticut sharpening services here, and gotten only Woodcraft and WWW for replies. I know somebody's doing it, but they seem to insist on keeping themselves a secret. <G>
Barry
B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:

Does it still cut well enough you can use it for future recycling efforts? (Burning be damned.)
-- Mark
On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 04:13:04 GMT, "Mark Jerde"

Not really. <G>
Barry
On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 02:07:06 GMT, B a r r y B u r k e J r .
said. . .:

send it to ridge carbide... http://www.ridgecarbidetool.com / only blade i use on my TS other than the dado set i have and the few misc "dead" ones i have collected over the years i use for cutting the likes of brass, copper and aluminum and only service i allow to sharpen anything i need re-edged
On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 03:10:49 -0600, Traves W. Coppock <newsgroups-AT-farmvalleywoodworks-DOT-com> wrote:>send it to ridge carbide...

Thanks! Their repair prices look pretty good, I'll give them a shot.
Barry
On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 14:00:50 GMT, B a r r y B u r k e J r .
said. . .:

glad to have helped,,,i don't think you'll be disappointed at all
Traves
Teeth can be replaced for a few dollars apiece. If not too many are broken, you can probably get the blade repaired for a reasonable price.
On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 02:07:06 GMT, B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 02:07:06 GMT, B a r r y B u r k e J r .

I've never had a carbide blade sharpened after damage. Carbide is brittle and tends to chip further back than can be ground out. It only takes a few tooth replacements to equal the blade replacement cost.
-- Congrats to STBL on his elevation from TLA to ETLA
On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 17:14:38 +0000, Andy Dingley

I take it that you, too, buy the HFT blades at $4.99, Andy? <wink>
--- After they make styrofoam, what do they ship it in? --Steven Wright http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 03:08:54 GMT, Larry Jaques
No, CMT at $30 - $40
I've just never had a sawblade lose just the one tooth. If I hit something badly enough to need repair, it's always damaged a load of teeth.
-- Congrats to STBL on his elevation from TLA to ETLA
I've got one in my garage right now with one tooth gone. Don't know what from.