How to get a 198 lb bandsaw off the truck?

Page 4 of 4
This is a lot more replies than I had expected -- one never knows. All very helpful. Thanks everyone.
A couple of comments. I did call Grizzly and they said that it is OK to lay the box on its side. As a couple of people noted, it apparently even ships on its side. I live in a rowhouse in a metro area, so its not quite suburban and certainly not country. (For example, Fedex and UPS have standing orders from me (which they sometimes forget) to leave nothing at the door if no one is here.) OTOH, many of the suggestions made me think back to the suburban house I grew up in, with my Dad's garage workshop right at driveway level -- drive up and drop.
I am hopeful that the driver will provide at least some basic help, and as noted by many, 198# is rather manageable. But I always like to be prepared in case, for whatever reason, he is content to do nothing. My experience, to date, even with companies that say "curb-side only" is that the drivers do help. I got one delivery that was about 3K pounds in 70 pound packages and unexpectedly the driver took one for about everyone I took - including 6 steps up to the front porch. Tools go up just two steps from the sidewalk and then down 7 to the basement. Having a hand truck with large air-filled tires - versus the small hard wheels - helps a lot both up and down.
Again, thanks for all of the observations and anecdotes. And for those of you who wrestled the tools with your wife's help, I am especially impressed. -- Igor
This has been most interesting thread to watch.... Let us know what happened when it was delivered!
When is it due in any case?

It shipped from Muncy (I assume) on Friday - 200 miles away - so I might get a call today about delivery.
igor wrote:

Mine came by FedEx, the little lady driver loaded it onto her handcart and rolled it into the shop. Real nice about it, too. Refused any help.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

igor wrote:

Problem? Get rope. Tie one end to bandsaw. Tie other end to tree. Drive truck away. Bandsaw on ground. No problem.     the idea man,     jo4hn :-)

Naw, that's TOO easy!
Vic

You got to give him credit for being so brilliant and really easiest, beside using a sledge hammer,break it apart and remove from the truck one piece at a time. :-)

Good point. His method does take the least amount of effort! HOOOYAH!
On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 00:36:35 +0000, igor wrote:

Here's a solution:
<http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?ItemnumberG591>
- Doug

Doug Winterburn posts:

Looks great. I have to wonder, though, what my S10 would look like as 500 pounds reached its high point on that device. For a real pick-up, it should be damned near ideal.
Charlie Self "Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." George Orwell
On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 19:59:12 +0000, Charlie Self wrote:

From the pictures, it looks like there are two rods that are set under each side to the ground preventing any spring sag while lifting/lowering. Seems like a good idea as I wouldn't want 500# balanced just on the hitch. I especially like the part where you take it off by pulling it off the hitch carrier. I wouldn't want it to be a permanent part of my vehicle.
- Doug

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 12:22:42 -0700, Doug Winterburn

I already posted that solution yesterday, Doug, noting that it was on half-price sale. I wish I'd bought one of those instead of the pickup crane (which I still haven't taken out of the box.)
I DID just get the fuming box glued up a few minutes ago, though. It's 5' wide by 3' tall and 2' deep, made from some stunning birdseye SPF tubatwos and onebuhtwos. Ourghta be about big enough, huh? I'll fold in one side of the plastic (and not trim it) so I can stick longer boards in and still be able to seal it when I make the G&G couch... unless I make it out of jarrah.
On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 18:16:44 -0800, Larry Jaques wrote:

What's next after birdseye G-cans and fuming boxes - sheesh! ;-)

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 20:44:03 -0700, Doug Winterburn

"G-cans"?!?
P.S: We ain't talkin' maple here.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - If God approved of nudity, we all would have been born naked. ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- http://www.diversify.com Your Wild & Woody Website Wonk