How to attach spice rack to hollow core door?

I'm building a fairly substantial spice rack (18x38) and am planning to hang it on the inside of my pantry door. I'm worried, though, that the rack, loaded with spices, may just pull out screws that I'd drive through the veneer. Any suggestions? Liquid Nails, maybe?
Thanks,
-Phil Crow
Add pictures here
βœ–

Use the self threading anchors similar to the ones that screw into sheet rock. Or mount it high enough on the door that you hit the solid piece at the top.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Mon, Jan 16, 2006, 2:43pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com doth asketh: <snip> Liquid Nails, maybe? Why not?
JOAT If you can't say anything nice about someone, you must be talking about Hilary Clinton.
Add pictures here
βœ–
J T wrote:

Love your tagline. Wanna Swap?
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA
JOAT If you can't say anything nice about someone, you must be talking about Hilary Clinton.
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Another option is use straps over the top of the door (like you do with wreaths at Christmas.
One word of caution. If this thing is as heavy as you are worried it might be, are you sure the hinges and door are substantial enough to hold the weight?
Deb
Add pictures here
βœ–
Change the door ..... or build one.
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:
>I'm building a fairly substantial spice rack (18x38) and am planning to >hang it on the inside of my pantry door. I'm worried, though, that the >rack, loaded with spices, may just pull out screws that I'd drive >through the veneer. Any suggestions? Liquid Nails, maybe?
I'm having a senior moment and can't remember the name of the damn fastner. (Not a toggle bolt)
You want the fastner used in drywall sheet rock.
Drill about a 7/16" hole insert fastener, then tighten up with 3/16" screw machine included.
Back out screw, hang rack, etc.
This is basically a shear load, so NBD.
15 minutes after I send this, I'm going to remember the name of that f**king fastner.<G>
Lew
Add pictures here
βœ–
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Okay Lew, 15 minutes are up. :-) Take your pick:
http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/inffastener/infanchor/infanchor.shtm
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
no(SPAM)vasys wrote:

Molly Bolt.
BTW, it only took about 2 minutes<G>.
Too many yaers in the hardware store I guess.
Lew
Add pictures here
βœ–
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Molybolt. Will work just fine only need a 1/4 deep one
Add pictures here
βœ–

Build the rack to fit the full space between the door jambs and fasten to the solid wood at the edge of the door or make a 3/4 inch panel the width of the space between the door jambs then fasten the spice rack to the panel. Some hollow core doors are little more than a cardboard sandwich, barely enough there to hold some sort of a finish but there is enough meat at the edges to hold a hinge.
Add pictures here
βœ–
I just did something similar - attached squares of 1/2" plywood to an interior door (I was actually making a table, but the principle is the same). To attach the plywood, I sanded any finish off the door, used wood glue to attach the ply to the door, and a bunch of countersunk 5/8" wood screws to hold the ply on while the glue dried. Clamps would have worked too, but I thought a bunch of screws would distribute the pressure better. Some of the screws stripped the soft wood on the door "skin" pretty easily, but most of them held the ply on tightly while the glue dried. There's so much glue area I'm not worried about whether the screws hold long-term. If I wanted to mount something like a spice rack that I might want to remove at some point, I'd glue/screw a piece of plywood to the door, then attach the rack to the plywood. Good luck, Andy
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 16 Jan 2006 14:43:02 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Phil:
If the door is not a hollow core, it shouldn't be a problem to get a decent bite with the screw.
If it is, I'd think about including a french cleat in the design. The part that goes on the door can be glued and pinned.
It might be nice to do it this way because it might be more convenient to be able to remove the spice rack when it's time to clean or stock it.
Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 16 Jan 2006 14:43:02 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I think some kind of adhesive could work as long as you don't need to remove it. You may want to scuff up the existing finish on the door (behind the spice rack) as the glue may not stick very well to the finish.
Mike O.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 14:43:02 -0800, phildcrowNOSPAM wrote:

Several good replies already, but here is my 2 cents:
It really depends on the hollow core door. I've autopsied a unit from my house. It was a 1/8" thick panel of MDF covered with a really really thin veneer. The side rails are about 1 inch MDF except for the area around the door knob. The bulk of the space is a cardboard matrix. I'd agree that a door of such construction probably can't support much weight using screws or even molly bolts through the face. You need to:
1) screw into the top or side rails 2) Hang the blasted thing from the top 3) Get enough surface adhesion on the door to hold the shelf up. 4) French cleat.
The answer I like the best is the french cleat glued and bolted to the panel. If possible get some screws into the rails also. So I'm recommending a hybrid from some of the other great replies. They do make hollow core doors of better construction. If you have something better, than I've got, then you could go with a simpler fastening system.
DGA
Add pictures here
βœ–