How do you make a caul?

How do you cut the concave shape on a caul? Cut on a bandsaw? Plane? Jointer for a slight taper? And how much curve do you remove per foot? Thanks!

Reply to
js

Adjusting the infeed table on your jointer to be other than even with the blades will produce a convex or concave (depending on whether it's higher or lower) caul. I've produced many this way although it was unintentional. The amount of curve would depend on the application.

Nova

I used a hand plane. One stroke out from the middle to each end, and then successively shorter strokes starting further out from the middle. I don't have one handy to measure, but IIRC the ends wound up about 1/8" thinner than the middle for a 4' caul.

And the curve is convex, not concave :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I'll generally do it on the jointer. first get it straight, then make a cut that falls short of both ends, then one that falls short of tha, etc.

depends how stiff the caul is and how much pressure you will be applying.

you're welcome!

Reply to
bridger

The easiest is to take a common board from the Borg and use it. Those boards usually are not perfectly straight and have just the right amount of curve in them.

Reply to
Leon

Draw in AutoCAD and dowload it to the CNC router at work (of course).

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Doh!