How do you inlay a pointed object?

Hello, all you inlay folk-

I've looked at books and websites, and done a little inlaying of single letters in hardwood, but I haven't been able to find out how to do a particular thing: inlay shapes that have tiny areas (like the serifs on a letter). Or imagine a star, for example. How do you create the recesses for the points? A router certainly won't fit in there, nor will a chisel be able to flatten the bottom into the corner.

I'm not talking about marquetry and veneering, or banding or stringing or purfling; I'm talking about inlaying a star cut from veneer into a block of wood. How do you cut a recess for that? Any of you inlay types out there have a technique for that?

-Tom

Reply to
nireedmot

I made a pointed dogleg chisel out of a bit of high carbon hacksaw blade. Next time I'd grind down some drill rod; the hacksaw blade was pretty floppy.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

Stewart Macdonald.com has an undercutting knife , used for guitar inlays, for just such a task.

Ken

Ken