How do I Make my own router templates for carving?

I have found some celtic knots that I would like to carve onto some faceplates but I don't know how to make a template for it. Any suggestions?
Anne

If you don't have acces to a laser cutter, waterjet machine, or CNC mill/router, at some point you're going to have to cut it by hand. I would try making it out of masonite using a coping saw or fret saw. Masonite is fairly hard, but easy to cut, and is inexpensive. When you lay out the design, you'll need to allow for whatever bushing size you plan to ue as well as the bit diameter.

Perhaps some mylar and Exact-O knives to make a stencil?

A few- it depends on the job.
Usually I use 1/4" hardboard and rough cut to within an 1/8" or so of the line, then file or sand to the finished shape. If you don't have a bandsaw, get a coping saw- they're fairly cheap, and easy to use. If you need to make inside cuts, you can drill a hole and thread the blade through with one.
Otherwise, use the router freehand the first time, then sand or file to the finished shape and then switch to your pattern bit to make duplicates.