How can you tell if finish's are compatible?

It's been a few times now I've put a clear coat or something over an existing finish, and had it 'bubble up' like paint remover!! Made a mess of a guitar once, cost me $115 to get it fixed... :( taught me a lesson...
Another time I put a gray primer over a piece of aluminum, and then sprayed it with a faux 'hammered metal' finish, and it all bubbled up...
Other then buying all the products I use from one company and tossing out my paint cabinet, is there some way to tell?
thanks
1. try the combination on a test piece before putting it on your projects
2. repeat 1. about 2,000 times
3. see step 1.

existing finish, and had it 'bubble up' like paint

:( taught me a lesson...

sprayed it with a faux 'hammered metal' finish, and

my paint cabinet, is there some way to tell?

Fri, Feb 20, 2004, 11:44pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (MikeinMystic) says: 1. try the combination on a test piece before putting it on your projects 2. repeat 1. about 2,000 times 3. see step 1.
Or, you could always call the 1-800 numbers on the cans.
JOAT Georges Clemenceau supposedly said, "War is too important a matter to be left to the military". If this is so, it is then obvious that peace is too precious to be left to politicians.
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 28 Feb 2004. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/SOMETUNESILIKEVOCALS /
On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 18:38:11 -0500, Bob Flint

Like Mike said, TEST, TEST, and TEST some more. Don't forget to wait a few days before declaring success, sometimes delayed problems can "surface". <G>
However, "systemizing", using all products from one brand (except maybe shellac) is exactly what I do when it really counts, I haven't done it before, and I don't have an extra week or two to test. In fact, I frequently systemize finishes even when I have the extra time.
Barry