How can I make this cut repeatably on my table saw

I am planning to make some wine cork trivets. See here for an example:

plan to make the 4 sides of the trivet out of cherry with a roundover using a 3/4" roundover bit on my router table. I have been making a prototype out of pine to see what issues I run into. There is no problem making the roundover cut. The problem is when I go to the tablesaw to cut off the rounded over part. If I place the rounded over part to the left so that the flat side of the board is up against the fence, I run the risk of having the cut round overs being slightly different width which will not work when I miter the joints. By this I mean that I will cut off the rounded over piece from the board, take it back to the router table, make a new round over, and then cut that off etc. That entails moving the fence for the now narrower board each time, If I place the rounded over part against the fence, I have a possibly dangerous cut to make with a thin strip of wood up against the fence. Having said that, I tried it anyway with appropriate push blocks in place and the cut doesn't come out even. I'm not sure why it is not coming out even (meaning that one end of cut off rounded over piece is wider than the other end). Even if I can figure that out I am still spooked by making a cut like this.

I thought I would ask the group members what your suggestions might be.

TIA.

Dick Snyder

Reply to
Dick Snyder

Here's one way:

Nova

Of course! I even have a similar jig I made for doing repeatable thin strip cutting but it didn't occur to me to use it for this purpose. Thanks for the tip. :-)

Dick

Reply to
Dick Snyder

Using the same principe that Jack pointed to, this is another of the million uses of a combo square. Place the square on the table so the machined flat edge is in the table saw groove. Set the rule out the appropriate distance for the repeatable cut. Now you can slide the fence over each time with the stock in place until it butts the end of the rule. Then you can set the square aside quickly so you don't have anything dragging during the cut, rinse and repeat.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Thanks. Another good idea!

Reply to