How big a motor for a tablesaw ?

I have a big old cast-iron Wadkin 10" cabinet saw. It's more like a PM66 than a Unisaw, but a fair chunk of iron whatever.

Sadly though, it was built as 3 phase and converted to single phase by swapping the motor. And the motor that went on is a pathetic little thing.

So, if I swap for a new and suitably sized (still single phase) motor, what size should I go for ? What's a reasonable rating for a saw of this ilk ? The mounts are pretty standard, so I should have a fairly free hand in what I go for.

-- Do whales have krillfiles ?

Reply to
Andy Dingley
1.5HP used to be the standard for 10" saws, 3HP is better. Anything in there should be all right.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4
1 phase or 3 phase? 5 hp is about the largest 240 volt 1 phase
Reply to
ddinc

my powermatic has 3 HP. I haven't felt a need for more. 10" cabinet saws come with IIRC up to 5HP motors on them Bridger

Reply to
Bridger

I have 3HP single phase on my 10" cabinet saw. Has never talked back to me once :) Has handled everything I have thrown at it so far.

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

5 Reviews:

- Workshop Essentials Under $30

- Festool PS 300 Jigsaws

- Delta Universal Tenoning Jig

- Ryobi Reciprocating Saw

- Infinity Router Bits

SawEyes

Andy Dingley asks:

Basic PM 66 and Unisaw (and General 350 and most others) have 3 HP motors. For heavy duty use, there's a 5 HP option. Either should be fine.

Charlie Self If God had wanted me to touch my toes he would have put them higher on my body.

Charlie Self