hope chest wood

Page 1 of 2
All set to start building a hope chest. No ply all lumber. Top, sides,front, back,bottom boards joined.Line with aromatic cedar. I would appreciate comments from people who have used walnut. I can purchase kiln dried 4/4 2 sides surfaced for $4.16 B.F.( central Wi) Any comments as to pluses or negatives? I am not going to stain just using tung oil???? Oh cedar is$1.77 4/4 BF.
Lee wrote:

finishes beautifully with tung oil.
What grit paper did you use as a final sand?

Lee wrote:

It really depends on what kind of look you want to end up with. For a natural-looking finish with just tung oil, you'd probably find that 220 was sufficient. I've gone even finer than that when I wanted to finish with poly to a mirror-like gloss.
Charlie M. 1958 wrote:

Charlie, Do you use any sort of pore filler on Walnut?
Dick Durbin Tallahassee
Olebiker wrote:

glassy-smooth surface without using pore filler.
"Lee" wrote in message

Using an oil/varnish finish on walnut, run through all the grits to 320 (using an air compressor or tack cloth between grits), then burnish with #0000 steel wool before applying the first coat of oil.
... works for me.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/25/06
Swingman wrote:

Walnut really takes the 320 sanding well.
Lee wrote:

I've used some walnut in a couple projects, and it's a great wood with which to work. Quite hard, but it's not difficult to work with either machines or hand tools. If I needed some, and it were available for about $4/bf, I'd definitely get enough for my project and some extra.

Good choice. Almost any other clearcoat would be fine too, but tung oil looks good, it's fairly easy to apply, and it's non-toxic. I used a urethane varnish (for more protection) on my last project containing walnut, and the clearcoat really brought out some 3D figure in the walnut that I didn't see at all before finishing. Good luck, and have fun working with this great wood! Andy

Some thoughts on cedar linings, which are inserted or applied _after_ finishing both sides of the walnut and allowing the odor to dissipate. Even kiln dried and resin set boards are likely to bleed a bit, given the amount of resin available. Leaves you the option of finishing the inside of the lining with shellac to keep stuff from getting sticky and letting the odor come from the back, or my preferred, a sachet or two for odor, easily renewable. No sense hiding walnut, even on the inside.
Something to think about George. Thanks

My vote is with George.The walnut interior will look nicer than cedar. I have a cedar closet and if left alone it will loose its scent and need to be sanded to be used for moth protection. I made a Cherry/ Tung oil handcut dovetailed hope chest and used plywood for the floor. I may add a cedar floor but not the walls.
"henry" wrote in message

Tell that to the females who actually buy them ... you'll know again how it feels when your vote don't count.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/02/07
George wrote:
> Some thoughts on cedar linings, which are inserted or applied _after_ > finishing both sides of the walnut and allowing the odor to dissipate.
<snip>
You can use the drop offs from a cedar closet lining kit to cover the bottom of a drawer.
Lay drop offs in loose, but with T/G engaged, so that at a future time they can be removed and lightly sanded to release more aroma, then reinserted.
Lew
"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

SWMBO grabs any of my aromatic cedar cutoffs for this very purpose. AAMOF, if I don't save them for her, it's big trouble.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/02/07
"Lee" wrote in message

Good man ... like cherry, it should be a sin to stain walnut.
Here's one made with both walnut and cherry, unstained, that just had its third coat of oil/varnish finish applied at lunchtime today (1/2/07):
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/HC19.jpg
The finish is being applied indoors in my much warmer office due to a deadline and the weather (high 30's in the shop at night the past few days).
A couple more coats of oil/varnish, followed by three more coats of oil/wax should do it.
.... and I kinda like the smell of the finish permeating the office. ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/25/06

"Lee" wrote in message

Well, dovetails are indeed even more striking in "oiled" walnut than they are many other woods. ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/25/06
Swingman wrote:

Looks great, Swingman! And doesn't walnut smell great when you cut it, too? :-)
Lee, if you decide to do dovetails, better get a lot of practice on cheap wood first!
"Charlie M. 1958" wrote in message

Thanks ...
Yeah, another person with a highly developed sniffer? Both cherry and walnut smell wonderful to me when being sawed!
Being somewhat color challenged, other senses, like smell, seem to compensate to the point that I can tell what kind of wood was delivered to a job site that afternoon just by walking by in the dark, or what the trim guys are cutting up on the second floor.
But, apparently like clashing colors, it can cut both ways ... a 70's German dance hall, in the dead of winter, comes immediately to mind ... wheeeww! ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/25/06