Home Shop Air Compressor

Do you really need portability? And for what purpose? As someone else mentioned, you can run long lengths or airhose without a problem. If you have an occaisional need to use a nailer in other locations then perhaps a small 10 gallon air tank or a cheap pancake compressor would do.

It's not so much an advantage, but the ability to run larger compressors that are 220v only. The first two compressors you mentioned are about the max you'll get out of 110v. Anything larger will require 220v.

This would allow you to run a wider variety of air tools.

Reply to
mp

you got that... my next compressor will be quiet, or I won't buy it..

I find that I don't use air tools as much as I'd like, because of the noise of the compressor... if it was quiet, then it wouldn't be that important how often it ran to keep up..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis
[snipperified]

When I semi-retired, the shop I left behind had a 5HP Webster cast-iron twin with intercooler (I'm guessing a 100gallon+ tank). It came with the building 15 years prior. Only when it started did you hear a squeel from the 3 belts. Then it settled in a locomotive style thumping that was almost pleasurable to listen to. You could stand next to it and carry on a conversation. One of us would blow it down daily, and I changed the oil every 6 months. Kept the spray booth going, air drills, and the air logic and servos on the edgebander... never missing a beat.

Reply to
Robatoy