Heads up on Grizzly's Workbench tops

I am doing some butcherblock countertops for some hippies that built a yurt in the Ithaca, NY area and they wanted some cheap butcherblock tops on some cabinets I manufactured for them. I ordered some Workbench tops from Grizzly and they're real nice for the price. Beats the hell out of Boo's prices. They are 1 3/4" though but that didn't affect this job any...No affiliation, no sales pitch,blah, blah...
RP

Yeah. I saw some of those at the Springfield store a couple of months ago and they did look nice. If memory serves me, I think they have heavier ones too. Their benches don't look bad for the money too.
RonB

Just an FYI but the Boos products are a premium product specifically for food preperation and certified for such by NFS (some quasi govt't agency who's certification is required for some wood products to be used in commercial food prep). You will never have a void or black knot. The biggest difference though is that every slat of the Boos items will be all full length pieces, where the Grizzly type will have some butted or fingered pieces.

These tops have lots of butted pieces and no full length to my recall. The back only had some voids and the front had no knots whatsoever. Grizzly also said that the workbench tops had the same food safe finish as their countertops. It is definitely not the same quality as Boo's tops, but for these folks and probably lots of people out there they are fine. They also did not have clear maple. There was lots of colors and I love the different colors. Point well taken Sonoma, and I agree.
These cabinets and tops were segmented to follow the outside angles of the yurt. It was somewhat of a challenge to get it just right. 24 segments 4' long or so, with an addition on 1/3 of the outer wall. I can't wait to trim 'er out.
RP
RP
On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 14:50:33 -0800, RP wrote:

In our area there's a cabinet factory that often sells butcherblock tops for cheap. I don't know if they're seconds or just overstock. Check around in your area.

Ikea sells butcher block tops fairly reasonably, too.

Look for Blkkenwud

NUMERR

I think Grainger has a few offerings, too.
Same idea/pricing.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/EDSAL-Workbench-Top-4TW45?Pid=search

Do you live in Ithaca? I'm very close to where you are building.
Allen

I am very near Cortland NY. That is as close as I pinpoint on the 'net. No offense intended whatsoever. My email will be down below
RP snipped-for-privacy@gmailnospam.com remove the nospam

No offense, I don't blame you. I live north of Horseheads and south of Ithaca. I used to work in Ithaca a few years ago up until gas prices went through the roof.
Allen