Heads up on Grizzly's Workbench tops

I am doing some butcherblock countertops for some hippies that built a yurt in the Ithaca, NY area and they wanted some cheap butcherblock tops on some cabinets I manufactured for them. I ordered some Workbench tops from Grizzly and they're real nice for the price. Beats the hell out of Boo's prices. They are 1 3/4" though but that didn't affect this job any...No affiliation, no sales pitch,blah, blah...

RP

Reply to
RP

Yeah. I saw some of those at the Springfield store a couple of months ago and they did look nice. If memory serves me, I think they have heavier ones too. Their benches don't look bad for the money too.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Just an FYI but the Boos products are a premium product specifically for food preperation and certified for such by NFS (some quasi govt't agency who's certification is required for some wood products to be used in commercial food prep). You will never have a void or black knot. The biggest difference though is that every slat of the Boos items will be all full length pieces, where the Grizzly type will have some butted or fingered pieces.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

These tops have lots of butted pieces and no full length to my recall. The back only had some voids and the front had no knots whatsoever. Grizzly also said that the workbench tops had the same food safe finish as their countertops. It is definitely not the same quality as Boo's tops, but for these folks and probably lots of people out there they are fine. They also did not have clear maple. There was lots of colors and I love the different colors. Point well taken Sonoma, and I agree.

These cabinets and tops were segmented to follow the outside angles of the yurt. It was somewhat of a challenge to get it just right. 24 segments 4' long or so, with an addition on 1/3 of the outer wall. I can't wait to trim 'er out.

RP

RP

Reply to
RP

In our area there's a cabinet factory that often sells butcherblock tops for cheap. I don't know if they're seconds or just overstock. Check around in your area.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Ikea sells butcher block tops fairly reasonably, too.

Reply to
krw

Look for Bl=F8kkenwud

Reply to
Robatoy

Do you live in Ithaca? I'm very close to where you are building.

Allen

Reply to
allen476

NUMERÄR

Reply to
krw

I am very near Cortland NY. That is as close as I pinpoint on the 'net. No offense intended whatsoever. My email will be down below

RP snipped-for-privacy@gmailnospam.com remove the nospam

Reply to
RP

No offense, I don't blame you. I live north of Horseheads and south of Ithaca. I used to work in Ithaca a few years ago up until gas prices went through the roof.

Allen

Reply to
allen476

I think Grainger has a few offerings, too.

Same idea/pricing.

Neil Brooks