Has this ever happened to you?

Made some drawer boxes for the master closet built-in yesterday. Measured twice, cut once. Went to install them this morning, and I'll be hanged if even a single one of those drawers fit. Nine times out of ten, I'd use a story stick, but this was such a small job; there were only four basic measurements.

Anyway, get this: they were too tall. All I had to do was trim 1/2" off the boxes and faces of two drawers to make a perfect fit. Can't for the life of me remember the last time I mis-measured something and cut it too

*big*!

Cheers!

Reply to
Jim Wilson

Sometimes.....sometimes I read from the top of the tape and read on the wrong side of the number and interpret it incorrectly.

Reply to
Leon

Lucky. I cut a board three times and it was still too short!

Reply to
Lu Powell

Yessir ... misreading a tape measure, particularly the one on the table saw fence, has been at the root of almost all my major woodworking screwups ... and rarely, if ever, do I err on the side of "too large/long". Somewhere around $5 a board foot, you start paying particular attention.

Reply to
Swingman

and cut it too *big*!

Yea, right!

:-)

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

Today... Wrestled the cabinet down the steps. Too big. Wrestled it back up.

Reply to
mttt

Since having to wear glasses in the shop the last year or so, I ve done significantly more "misreading" than previously. Maybe I should get a pair of bifocals for the shop and leave the 'progressive lenses' in the house

Rudy