Ha! Wood Working!

Page 1 of 2
Something different for me, not furniture.
I gave a neighbor a wine bottle stopper a few months ago as a birthday gift. Then she decided it would be nice for me to build her a display to show off her wine bottle stoppers. Oh boy... Then she decides that she would like to hang it on the wall. Oh boy....
So I think and think and think and..... cruise the internet for ideas. I hate the traditional look of the typical display as they look like miniature stadium bleachers and or golf ball display, you know the look.
So I got an idea from a guy selling bottle stoppers and significantly changed his design.
At the link below the displays on the saucers will display 24 bottle stoppers. The ones not on saucers hole 9 stoppers and will hang on the a wall or cabinet with 2 screws that slide up inside a key hole slot on the back side. A crew at the top holds the display, a screw near the bottom will keep the display from tilting should it become heavier on one side. Saucer units will free stand on a counter top. And now the neighbor wants the counter top display.....
These are made out of an 8' Douglas fir fence post so I made enough to use up the whole post.
Let me know what you think!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/8168245477/in/photostream/lightbox /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/8168274882/in/photostream/lightbox /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/8168293446/in/photostream/lightbox /
Leon wrote:

Those look an awful lot like pipes! : )

On 11/8/2012 7:47 PM, Bill wrote:

Bong pipes? ;~)
On Thursday, November 8, 2012 7:37:15 PM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

Original! Good thinking.
Another coat or 2 of paint?
Sonny
On 11/8/2012 8:37 PM, Sonny wrote:

Actually they have two coats of GF country colors stain/paint, NLA. 3 coats of gel varnish.
On 11/8/2012 7:37 PM, Leon wrote:

Sleigh bells ring, are you listening ...
Cool ... and now you're good for a couple of seasons at least. :)
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 11/8/2012 8:51 PM, Swingman wrote:

Yeah we are already calling them bottle stopper Christmas Trees.
Leon wrote:

Just beautiful. But I don't get the trailer hitch.
--
G.W. Ross

I used to have an open mind but my
On 11/9/2012 6:32 AM, G. Ross wrote:

Thank you. Th hitch looking stopper is something my wife came up with.
On 11/9/2012 6:32 AM, G. Ross wrote:

What's to 'get' about it? Just another novelty bottle stopper.
--
Steve Barker
Leon wrote:

Outstanding creativity and craftsmanship.
I think, however, you should move very far away.
Having a neighbor that collects wine bottle stoppers is medium creepy.
I don't even think there's a 12-step program for the malady.
On Friday, November 9, 2012 7:02:22 AM UTC-6, HeyBub wrote:

24 bottles!

That's a 24 bottle program! Not a bad program. Might want to visit the neighbor more often, rather than avoid her.
Sonny
On 11/9/2012 7:05 AM, HeyBub wrote:

Thank you.

Well, they are more than just corks. LOL
HeyBub wrote:

fancy corks. I made a few and still have them.
--
G.W. Ross

If you don't like the news, go out and
On Friday, November 9, 2012 10:55:07 AM UTC-6, G. Ross wrote:

An old Cajun carpenter and excellent boat builder, Dado, was doing some work for the church and he and the priest went to get some supplies. On the way back, they stopped at the store and Dado bought some beer... asked the priest if he wanted one. The priest said he only drank wine. Dado told him, "Wine is for church, beer is for work." Dado loved his beer!!
BTW, if you ever saw the movie "Old Man" (about the Miss. R. flood of '27), Dado played the old man on the house boat (he built for the movie), out on the flooded plain.
Sonny
"HeyBub" wrote in message
Leon wrote:

Outstanding creativity and craftsmanship.
I think, however, you should move very far away.
Having a neighbor that collects wine bottle stoppers is medium creepy. ===============================================================Why? My sister collects tea balls. Lots of people collect odd things.
On Thursday, November 8, 2012 5:37:15 PM UTC-8, Leon wrote:

Very creative. Excellent finishing choice. Could easily go national with these and make a pretty penny I would think. Both the holders and the stoppers.
On 11/9/2012 11:15 AM, SonomaProducts.com wrote:

[...]

Thank you. The labels were the worst part, I had to find the design and add the oval ring and cut them out with an exacto knife... The natural look would certainly be easier w/o the labels.
On 11/8/2012 8:37 PM, Leon wrote:

What did you make the labels out of.
I agree, you probably could go production on those and sell a slew
On 11/9/2012 2:29 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

Thank you

Clip art from a Google search and I added the heavy oval ring surrounding the picture. I printed it on mustard colored construction like paper and then used an exacto knife to cue each one out. That was a PIA. Perhaps if the labels were readily available from a winery...

I would not mind making production runs but not on spec. There was a lot if time involved although much of it was making up jigs to drill the holes and designing the labels.