Grizzly vs. Woodtek Tablesaw???

Hiya, I've resolved to find the funds to beat the Jan. 1 Grizzly price hike and decided to go ahead and purchase their 1023SL cabinet saw. However, today I went to Woodworkers Supply's website to check a couple of things and they've got this:

around the same price. Features are similar except the tilt and it weighs around 50 lbs. heavier. Not too concerned about the fence/length etc... as I've got a Vega 50" fence to put on whichever saw I get. I don't hear much about WoodTek and am just wondering if anyone has any experience with them? Is this worthwhile or should I just say to heck with it and get the Grizzly? WWS is local to me here in ABQ which might be helpful if there are issues with the Woodtek.

Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

No experience with WoodTek but I have owned a Grizzly 1023s for about 2-1/2 years and couldn't be happier. They were very quick with my delivery too -

36 hours after placing my internet order. I understand services is pretty good with Griz.

Does Griz have the saw in stock. I understand from some posts they are back ordered on some machinery.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

I would say don't do it.

I have a Woodtek bandsaw with which I am generally pleased. $/pound a very good value.

However, it had a minor assembly (manufacturing) issue that they were unable to resolve through tech support. (There were 3 or four phone calls and a half-dozen emails incuding digital photos) I eventually diagnosed and solved the problem myself.

Their tech support consisted of one very nice fellow who did not have access to the specific model of machine that I had purchased.

To their credit, they offered to send me a new saw (from a different location). They were decent and responsive, but did not IMHO have the resources (spare parts on hand, backup personnel, additional stock with which to test) to properly support the product.

Limited testimonials + marginal support is not worth a $50 savings. If I could walk into their storefront for service, I would defineitely consider it, but not mailorder.

Hope that helps.

Steve

> For around the same price. Features are similar except the tilt and it

Reply to
Stephen M

IIRC Woodtek is a private label. I would stick with Grizzly.

Reply to
Leon

Leon responds:

Woodtek is the label of the tool line imported by Woodworker's Supply. How does that make them different from Grizzly, which is imported by Grizzly?

I haven't used this saw, but my experience with both Woodtek and Grizzly has been positive.

Charlie Self "Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing." Redd Foxx

Reply to
Charlie Self

When I was shopping for a TS I too had decided on the G1023SL but when I was visiting my local Woodworker's Supply store I decided to 'crawl under' the WoodTek. It didn't take me long to decide on the Grizzly.

I forget the specific problems but the difference in feel between the Woodtek and the Grizzly Contractor's saw I was replacing was enough to convince me there was no contest.

I've had the G1023SL for about a year and a half and I love it every time I use it. I would definitely pick the Grizzly over the WoodTek.

TWS

Reply to
TWS

Thanks folks for the opinions. I think I'll just stick with the Grizzly unless General has a major sale between now and the end of the year! Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

Which bandsaw? I'm considering the 18" Woodtek.

Brian.

Brian

Gee, I don't know. I would take a look at the Rikons if I were you. I don't have one but the list of features for the price sure looks attractive.

TWS

Reply to
TWS

Well Charlie, I have never heard up until now of anyone using or owning Woodtek equipment. I stand corrected.

Reply to
Leon

"Leon" wrote in news:XIcpd.32765$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com:

My neighbor has a Woodtek 6" jointer. We've used it a couple of times, and I've been invited to use it for a number of projects. I think it irritates him that I use handplanes, rather than his jointer. The handplanes give me more consistent, predictable, desireable results. I don't trust that machine.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

General does have a sale going on right now. Dealers should have a flyer with details, or you can view it on their website

I think). I don't have any connection with General, except for just buying a GI bandsaw on sale now. I have yet to cut anything with my saw, but it looks to be very well designed and nicely finished (damn near perfect).

As to Woodtek, my only contact with their stuff is a Woodtek sander that my Dad said was the worst tool he had ever bought. It might not be useful to judge the quality of their entire line based on one crummy sander but I would be careful. Grizz seems like a much safer bet.

David

Reply to
Jane & David

"patriarch snipped-for-privacy@nospam.comcastDOTnet"

LOL, to stay on a good basis with him, use the jointer and then finish off with the hand planes.

Reply to
Leon

That is the one.

e-mail me at sawdust(please no spam)@primelink1.net for more info. I did a lengthy writeup on it about 6-8 months ago. Google should find it.

Steve

C & S

I saw the flyer. The one saw they had in the same ballpark as the Grizzly and Woodtec (under $1000) appears to be nothing more than a contractor's saw with a fancy base. I may be wrong but it weighs around

150lb. lighter than the Grizzly. The saw I'd love is still around $2k so out of my budget! Thanks for the headsup though! Cheers, cc
Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson