Grizzly vs Ridgid

Page 1 of 2

Going to be making my first table saw purchase, been reading a lot of the posts in here, it seems many people speak very highly of Grizzly so I have been looking at this saw:
G0444 10" Table Saw 1-1/2 HP Single-Phase 110V http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0444
And I am also considering this saw:
RIDGID 10 In. Cast-Iron Table Saw Model TS3650 http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?prod_id7029
The benefit of the Ridgid is I can just go down to the local HD and pick it up, and get 12 mo same as cash....
They are both 1 1/2hp, so I was looking for some additional insight from those who have personal experience with either saw...
Thanks in advance for any advice.
I have been looking at tablesaws also. They all seem to have there advantages and disadvantages. Have you heard of SawStop table saws? They are online. They are kind of pricey but they can stop a major accident from happening (like your finger getting cut off) it might be worth taking a look at. Just another option for you to consider.
Rich

I have considered the Sawstop, unfortunately the cabinet saw is not within my budget, and the contractor saw has been "pending" for eternity...

Having read all of the horror stories about the Delta X series 10" cabinet saws, and how the extension tables are warped, I decided to go with the Grizzly G1023SL Left-Tilting and the Shop Fox Mobile Base. Fortunately, I live only 30 miles from Grizzly and am able to go directly to the show room and look at the equipment. Luckily money was no object and I could have picked any one I wanted. Loaded this saw up and took it home.
Set up was a breeze. Instructions very clear. Adjusting the table extensions is easy if you follow Grizzly instructions. No shimming required to level the extensions. I learned at that point that there is not flat table extensions you make flat during the adjustment process. Extra long power cord about 15'. Only problem is the mounting rails for the Shop Fox Classic fence are not flat need to have one of them machined flat. Indicator runout on the arbor was less than .0005". Parallel to the miter slot. All screw holes line up perfectly does not require any filing, drilling, etc.
This saw runs like a jewel. Cuts "square to the world". Knowing what I know now I would pay shipping if I had to.
Remember, Ridgid is known for its products related to the plumbing. industry.
Turbotommy
And everybody has opinions, just not a never ending supply of money.

They've had a lot of (good) press in the publications, but out of -my- price range
Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org

Tough call for me- I use some Rigid hand tools and like them. For larger equip I have all Grizzly....T/S, Shaper, B/S, Jointer, etc. I have been very happy with the performance of the Grizzly machines.
I am also skeptical as to buying certain items from the big discount stores. Todays OEM methods allow a major cutomer (such as a big discounter) to cheapen a specific product to meet their margin goals. It might "look" exactly like the in-line version but if you were to take it apart piece by piece you would find differences.
I do buy adhesives, fasteners and certain other items but never large equip.
As far as the safety stop saw goes I am not impressed. Granted, I've only looked at the video but for that kind of money....?
I have the 220 volt Grizzly and am happy with it. The Ridgid is probably just as good in general. I suggest that you check to see how easily the blade cover-splitter comes off on the Ridgid as compared with the one on the Grizzly. I use mine all the time except when I take it off to use a sliding cross-cut box, so you want a safety that comes easily on-off.

The Ridgid blade guard, once you have it set up properly, comes off by loosening a single thumb screw and goes back on, still aligned. The whole operation takes about 3 seconds.
I have the Grizzly 1 1/2HP and really like it. I think the ShopFox fence that comes with the Grizzly beats the one on the Rigid hands down. I do wish that I would have got the solid steel table wings instead of the stamped steel ones, but I can change that later for $90.
-- Carl

Get the G0444Z. I have it and love it. I also got the extension with legs. The fence is DEAD on. The only criticism I would give it is I wish there was a micro adjust knob on it. It beats all the other contractor saws hands down and the price is right.

I shopped for saws in February and considered these saws at that time especially the Rigid. Looks like the Grizzly is a right tilt blade (if that matters to you). The Rigid is a left tilt blade (generally considered safer since the blade tilts away from the fence). The Grizzly fence is a scaled down version of the Beismeyer design. I thought the Rigid fence was a notch below but very acceptable in this price range. Rigid comes on wheels so if that is important to you it saves money. If I recall correctly the extension wings are cast iron, plus they are flat so the saw can double as an assembly table when you need a flat surface to reference to. All things considered for me, I would choose the Rigid between these two. If your budget can stand it this is the saw I chose and I am very happy with it. (Amazon.com product link shortened)"8013 Basically the same fence as the Grizzly, flat cast iron table extensions, motor inside of cabinet so it fits against wall when not in use, good dust collection, operates on 120v, the freight company delivered it into my garage (Grizzly specifically says to the curb). Good luck, Charlie

Both saws are pretty good saws. If you can run them at 220v (which both of these saws can be wired up for), I would do that. You will get quicker motor starts which dramatically helps the life of the saw.
If you are down to looking at delivery options, which only happens one time, as a deciding factor go with the Rigid and pick up a Diablo blade at HD while you are there. A good sharp blade is just as important as anything else.

Just keep in mind that the Ridgid weighs 287 lbs in the box, be prepared to have someone help you take it out of the car again!
Get the G0444Z you won't be sorry. It is a 2 HP saw and the Rigid is, I think only a 1 or 1 1/2 HP saw. I like every thing about my Grizz.

I got a Grizzly 10" this spring, G576 I think. Only down side is no wheels, but that can be fixed easily. But their Customer Service SUX in my opinion. I ended up so pissed at them that I bought a Delta jointer and plainer. Would have probably gotten another saw except that the kids had given me gift certs. But that aside, the saw works well.
Charlie H. wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)"8013
You can arrange for delivery any way you want -- it probably won't cost extra to have them drop it in your garage if it's easily accessible. Grizzly will help with the accomodation.
Charlie H. wrote:

Mike Berger wrote:

I'll second that: I haven't read any complaints about Grizzly's delivery here, and I don't have any to report myself. My ($300lb.) purchase was wheeled inside my place on delivery.
The driver had to wheel it over to the alley and back to get it on the sidewalk, and there was a lift on the truck.
er
--
email not valid

I was looking at the same two saws and settled on the Ridgid. I'm extremely happy with it. I'm running it on a 110 but plan on wiring it to a 220. If it performs this well at 110, I expect slightly better at 220.
I chose the Ridgid because of the price break I got by buying it on sale. It has beautiful cast-iron wings and a dead-on fence. I don't plan on being a professional carpenter and so the Ridgid seems far more powerful than I need. I have no problem cutting through 2" cherry with a standard blade. I'm sure that with a better blade, I would have even better performance.
And I've found the built in wheel base on the Ridgid to be a life saver. My workshop's configuration requires that I occasionally need to shift the table saw. With the built in wheel base, it's a snap.
However, I have NEVER heard a bad word about the Grizzly. If you're leaning towards the Grizzly, you won't be disappointed. It's a solid machine.
Either way ... I think you'll be quite happy!
Jack
TBM wrote:

I own all Grizzly big equipments (G5959 12" - Table Saw ), 17" Bandsaw, 20" planer, 20" drum sanders, 6" joinery, 2h.p. dust collector and large woodlathe.. I do not find any disapointment with Grizzly as they have done a great service.. When I need more equipment, I'd go for Grizzly..
For the fence system.. My G5959 comes with Shopfox fence system and it's good.. However, I took it off and use Incra Table saw fence system.. Works like butter..
I have not heard anything bad about Ridgit and I do trust HomeDepot.. :-)
Gary Holte Portland, Oregon