Grizzly vs Ridgid

Going to be making my first table saw purchase, been reading a lot of the posts in here, it seems many people speak very highly of Grizzly so I have been looking at this saw:

G0444 10" Table Saw 1-1/2 HP Single-Phase 110V

I am also considering this saw:

RIDGID 10 In. Cast-Iron Table Saw Model TS3650

benefit of the Ridgid is I can just go down to the local HD and pick it up, and get 12 mo same as cash....

They are both 1 1/2hp, so I was looking for some additional insight from those who have personal experience with either saw...

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Reply to
TBM

I have been looking at tablesaws also. They all seem to have there advantages and disadvantages. Have you heard of SawStop table saws? They are online. They are kind of pricey but they can stop a major accident from happening (like your finger getting cut off) it might be worth taking a look at. Just another option for you to consider.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

I have considered the Sawstop, unfortunately the cabinet saw is not within my budget, and the contractor saw has been "pending" for eternity...

Reply to
TBM

Tough call for me- I use some Rigid hand tools and like them. For larger equip I have all Grizzly....T/S, Shaper, B/S, Jointer, etc. I have been very happy with the performance of the Grizzly machines.

I am also skeptical as to buying certain items from the big discount stores. Todays OEM methods allow a major cutomer (such as a big discounter) to cheapen a specific product to meet their margin goals. It might "look" exactly like the in-line version but if you were to take it apart piece by piece you would find differences.

I do buy adhesives, fasteners and certain other items but never large equip.

As far as the safety stop saw goes I am not impressed. Granted, I've only looked at the video but for that kind of money....?

Joe

I have the 220 volt Grizzly and am happy with it. The Ridgid is probably just as good in general. I suggest that you check to see how easily the blade cover-splitter comes off on the Ridgid as compared with the one on the Grizzly. I use mine all the time except when I take it off to use a sliding cross-cut box, so you want a safety that comes easily on-off.

Reply to
Stu

I have the Grizzly 1 1/2HP and really like it. I think the ShopFox fence that comes with the Grizzly beats the one on the Rigid hands down. I do wish that I would have got the solid steel table wings instead of the stamped steel ones, but I can change that later for $90.

-- Carl

Reply to
Carl

They've had a lot of (good) press in the publications, but out of -my- price range

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

Get the G0444Z. I have it and love it. I also got the extension with legs. The fence is DEAD on. The only criticism I would give it is I wish there was a micro adjust knob on it. It beats all the other contractor saws hands down and the price is right.

Reply to
Tom

I shopped for saws in February and considered these saws at that time especially the Rigid. Looks like the Grizzly is a right tilt blade (if that matters to you). The Rigid is a left tilt blade (generally considered safer since the blade tilts away from the fence). The Grizzly fence is a scaled down version of the Beismeyer design. I thought the Rigid fence was a notch below but very acceptable in this price range. Rigid comes on wheels so if that is important to you it saves money. If I recall correctly the extension wings are cast iron, plus they are flat so the saw can double as an assembly table when you need a flat surface to reference to. All things considered for me, I would choose the Rigid between these two. If your budget can stand it this is the saw I chose and I am very happy with it.

the same fence as the Grizzly, flat cast iron table extensions, motor inside of cabinet so it fits against wall when not in use, good dust collection, operates on 120v, the freight company delivered it into my garage (Grizzly specifically says to the curb). Good luck, Charlie

"TBM" wrote in message news:445c2983$0$84235$ snipped-for-privacy@news.isoc.net...

Reply to
Charlie H.

Both saws are pretty good saws. If you can run them at 220v (which both of these saws can be wired up for), I would do that. You will get quicker motor starts which dramatically helps the life of the saw.

If you are down to looking at delivery options, which only happens one time, as a deciding factor go with the Rigid and pick up a Diablo blade at HD while you are there. A good sharp blade is just as important as anything else.

Reply to
robthebuilder

I got a Grizzly 10" this spring, G576 I think. Only down side is no wheels, but that can be fixed easily. But their Customer Service SUX in my opinion. I ended up so pissed at them that I bought a Delta jointer and plainer. Would have probably gotten another saw except that the kids had given me gift certs. But that aside, the saw works well.

Charlie H. wrote:

Basically the same fence as the Grizzly, flat cast iron table extensions,

Reply to
rich

I was looking at the same two saws and settled on the Ridgid. I'm extremely happy with it. I'm running it on a 110 but plan on wiring it to a 220. If it performs this well at 110, I expect slightly better at 220.

I chose the Ridgid because of the price break I got by buying it on sale. It has beautiful cast-iron wings and a dead-on fence. I don't plan on being a professional carpenter and so the Ridgid seems far more powerful than I need. I have no problem cutting through 2" cherry with a standard blade. I'm sure that with a better blade, I would have even better performance.

And I've found the built in wheel base on the Ridgid to be a life saver. My workshop's configuration requires that I occasionally need to shift the table saw. With the built in wheel base, it's a snap.

However, I have NEVER heard a bad word about the Grizzly. If you're leaning towards the Grizzly, you won't be disappointed. It's a solid machine.

Either way ... I think you'll be quite happy!

Jack

TBM wrote:

Reply to
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.ne

Naw, poor as I am I couldn't settle for anything less than this one,

For as much as I have read over the last year and a half from this group and it's reference links, the features are proper in all respects for this level of a saw. The money difference is worth it, but not for saving, or spending less to save $120, in the long run. I like the built in rollers on the other one, but it's the same lower level of saw.

Reply to
AAvK

I own all Grizzly big equipments (G5959 12" - Table Saw ), 17" Bandsaw,

20" planer, 20" drum sanders, 6" joinery, 2h.p. dust collector and large woodlathe.. I do not find any disapointment with Grizzly as they have done a great service.. When I need more equipment, I'd go for Grizzly..

For the fence system.. My G5959 comes with Shopfox fence system and it's good.. However, I took it off and use Incra Table saw fence system.. Works like butter..

I have not heard anything bad about Ridgit and I do trust HomeDepot.. :-)

Gary Holte Portland, Oregon

Reply to
NW Woodturner

Double check the current draw on the Ridgid to verify the horsepower. When I was choosing between the two, I recall that the Ridgid is really only 1HP. I own the G0444Z, and I really love the Shopfox fence. IMHO, it's better than the Ridgid.

At my skill level, I'm sure either saw would be okay for me, but I'm glad I ended up with the Grizzly.

Good luck, Tom

TBM wrote:

Reply to
tom_murphy

for a friend and I was extremely impressed with it. It hasn't had a ton of use yet (he's only had it a week) but so far, it's cut everything beautifully and it went together like a dream.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

The Ridgid blade guard, once you have it set up properly, comes off by loosening a single thumb screw and goes back on, still aligned. The whole operation takes about 3 seconds.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

Just keep in mind that the Ridgid weighs 287 lbs in the box, be prepared to have someone help you take it out of the car again!

Reply to
Brian Henderson

Get the G0444Z you won't be sorry. It is a 2 HP saw and the Rigid is, I think only a 1 or 1 1/2 HP saw. I like every thing about my Grizz.

Reply to
Tom

I have the Gizzly GO586 8" jointer and I am absolutely pleased with it. Delivered in 4 days without a scratch, blades sharp as razors. Everything I've heard about Grizzly large machines is good.

Truthfully I'm not that impressed with Rigid large machines. I have a Bosch

4000 benchtop table saw with stand I wouldn't trade for the Rigid contractor saw I've seen at the local Home Depot.

My $0.02

RangerPaul

Reply to
Ranger Paul