grizzly bandsaw

A little help with prepurchase buyers remorse please, Comparing the Grizzly GO513X saw

with the GO513
wich is identicle except for cast iron wheels, resaw fence and larger table) , is the eXTRA $110 worth it? IS the extra 80 pounds worth of stability, cast wheels, larger table and resaw fence worth the$

Hell, nevermind, I just convinced myself :-)

Scot

Reply to
srazor

GO513X saw

with the GO513
wich is identicle except for cast iron wheels, resaw fence and larger table) , is the eXTRA $110 worth it? IS the extra 80 pounds worth of stability, cast wheels, larger table and resaw fence worth the$

Hi Scot, I have owned the G0513 now for almost 2 years and I have been very pleased with it. However, If the G0513X had been available at that time I would have gladly paid the difference for those features. IMO

Ronnie

Reply to
shooter

I have also owned a G0513 for a few years and have been pleased with the machine and performance.

If the G0513X had been around at the time, I may have felt compelled to go with the "X".

I went to a local Grizzly showroom with the intent of purchasing the case iron fence, and decided, it really does not add much in the way of features over the present Aluminium fence - other than being able to use magnetic attachments. I decided that what I really want is a re-saw fence, and for this purpose desire a fence higher than the cast iron.

I would love a larger table. I have to say I do not need it often, but always good to have more area.

I am not sure of the benefit of cast iron wheels in the real world. I know they are not supposed to warp, and the extra weight will help the flywheel effect, but I am not expecting the present cast Aluminium wheels to suddenly become warped for some reason.

If I were buying again, I would look at both, and be tempted to save the money. Either way I think you will be happy - they are both good machines.

My only "wish list" feature, would be a split lower door like the Rikon models. I have my G0513 installed on a mobile base, and the caster only allows me to open the lower door a few inches - enough to vacuum out the lower part of the case, but not enough for blade changes. So when time comes to change blades, it is rather an ordeal for me.

Get some decent blades. The Grizzly blades dull rather quickly. I recently installed a 1in blade for some resawing and it worked great. I am leaving this blade on the saw until I need to cut curves.

Dave Paine.

Reply to
Tyke

is the eXTRA $110 worth

In 5 years, (or in 35 years), will you be wishing you had saved a little money way back then, or will you be happy with the bigger table, beefier machine, and nice fence? If you get the bigger one, I doubt you'll ever regret it. If you get the smaller one, I can imagine wishing for an extra few inches of table, or wondering if more cast iron would help with this darned vibration, etc... I think you probably convinced yourself correctly. Andy

Reply to
Andy

GO513X saw

with the GO513
wich is identicle except for cast iron wheels, resaw fence and larger table) , is the eXTRA $110 worth it? IS the extra 80 pounds worth of stability, cast wheels, larger table and resaw fence worth the$

I think the cast iron wheels are worth it. I did an informal comparison (not on Grizz, but similiar type bandsaws).. the cast iron wheels seemed to have a lot more cutting power, but maybe that was just an unscientific guess.

Reply to
bf

GO513X saw

with the GO513
wich is identicle except for cast iron wheels, resaw fence and larger table) , is the eXTRA $110 worth it? IS the extra 80 pounds worth of stability, cast wheels, larger table and resaw fence worth the$

:-) I think your mind's already made up but I want to go on record with my own humble opinion: the cast iron wheels are worth the extra money all by themselves. Especially if you think you'll ever take that saw and make it work like a horse all day long. Nice to get the other stuff but it's those wheels I'm wishin for.

Reply to
else24