Gripe about pushy sailes staff

I know I'm probably bitching too much, but does it bother any of you when sales persons at Rockler or Woodcraft, etc. tell you how to do your project? I ask for product "A" and if they don't have it, they say I should be using "B" anyways...which they just happen to have in stock.

For example, I went to Rockler (Concord CA) to pick up some Waterlox because I like it on Walnut very much. I have all sorts of oils and poly's in the cupboard, but I just like Waterlox on walnut, so that's what I went to get. I asked the salesman if he had waterlox. "What are you trying to do with your finish?" was his response. Right away, I got defensive because I didn't want to justify to him why I like waterlox. I told him that I was trying to buy waterlox! He quickly said they didn't stock it which is what I figured.

On another occasion, I needed to rout finger pulls in some cabinet doors on a boat because the clients didn't want any protruding hardward (cramped spaces on the boat). I found that Amana makes one that is 3/4" diameter while all others were 1" radius. Looked up on the web and found that a local lumber dealer, Truitt & White in Berkeley CA, are dealers, so down there I go to order the bit.

I tell the guy behind the counter what I want to order and he looks up the price. It's a $90+ bit and says I don't want a bit that is that expensive. He asks what I'm doing and I tell him that I need to rout finger pulls in doors (it's a finger-pull bit, so I'm not sure what else I'd be using it for). Anyways, he tells me that if it were him, he'd just use a bullnose bit. I didn't say anything, but I was thinking 1) a bullnose won't work because of geometric limitations of the bit and 2) that's probably why he's behind a counter using a cash register.

I know this probably sounds like I'm just being an SOB, but I really am getting tired of folks telling me how to do something when I've spent a lot of time designing and deciding what to do.

Too picky is I?

Mike Alameda, CA

Reply to
Mike Dembroge

It doesn't bother me when they suggest alternatives to unavailable supplies, so that I might be able to finish my project. And I'm always willing to learn other ways to do things. Did you ask *why* they were suggesting alternatives? I mean, other than not stocking it? Maybe there's a *reason* why they don't stock it?

Sounds like they're trying to help you finish your project?

You can do recessed pulls with a bullnose bit. Maybe they know more than you do?

Consider that they see lots of types of people, and perhaps - in their experience - people like you know know exactly what they're doing are the exception. They've probably learned that most of their customers don't know what they're doing, so they start by making sure they're not buying something totally inappropriate for their project. Why? Because they want their customers to come back again.

So next time they ask what you're working on, have plans ready and be prepared to show it off. Get to know them, so that next time they can give you help that *you* find helpful.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Mike, Maybe a touch too pickey. Just think, "I'm sure glad I don't have your job!". And sometimes, rarely, but sometimes an offbeat idea can spur a really clever new idea!

Dave

Reply to
Teamcasa

"Mike Dembroge" wrote in news:0yMcg.77510$F snipped-for-privacy@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net:

Woodcraft in Dublin stocks several types of Waterlox. They are further away by 18 miles than Rockler from where I live, but I only need a few quarts a year...

I've been known to be a 'bit cranky' at times, myself. Big deal.

Can't please everyone, etc...

Howsoever, the counter guy who doesn't TRY to help sends someone away without any solution, when something else might have worked that day.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Reply to
Vic Frost

I am not a dumb person, I managed to retire at 40 and had been in upper management for 99% of my career. I feel that of all the people that I meet that there is a 50/50 chance that he or she is probably smarter than me or knows more than 1 way to produce results. I openly listen to new acquaintances and keep an open mind because I am not ready to stop learning. I suggest you learn to do so also.

Reply to
Leon

I'm not sure if you're being too picky or just frustrated at the perceived slight to your intelligence. How exactly is someone, who you've never had contact with before, on the other end of a phone, supposed to know how much time and effort you've spent making a decision? Telepathy? You're assuming that the _salesman_ on the other end of the phone should just give up, say, "Nope. No Waterlox here." instead of trying to find an alternative that will make the sale and help you out at the same time?

The person on the other end of the phone can't possibly know who you are, what you know, whether you're buying a product for the wrong or right reason, etc. There is exactly zero reason to be bothered by a salesman asking questions to determine what you're trying to do and if there is another, possibly better way to do it. They're providing a service, and a valuable one for many people.

RicodJour

How would a bullnose create the profile of a finger pull? Wouldn't the sides be square to the surface? I don't see how it can be done. These finger pulls are in the center of the stiles, not the edge, so I don't see how it can be done with just a bullnose.

Reply to
Mike Dembroge

[snip] Okay, the consenus is it's me. I'll be nice from now on ;-)

Mike

Reply to
Mike Dembroge

I think what hits me wrong is having to explain and/or defend what I want. I'm definitely not the type to think I'm smarter than everyone else, believe me. However, if a customer asks if a store has "A", then they should say so and *then* then perhaps try suggesting something IMO. I think it's the difference between giving a customer what he/she wants versus giving the customer what will work.

Suppose you went to a lumber yard and asked if they had 4/4 cherry and rather than give you a price, the salesperson tells you that you should be using white oak instead. Wouldn't that be a bit annoying?

Well, I was just venting in any case, so it's not worth getting too worked-up over.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Dembroge

There you go. Recognizing and admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery. :~)

Reply to
Leon

compare profiles:

have a half-round in the middle, and a tab at the bottom to do the undercut. They're just a little different in details, not general shape.

Me, I prefer through-holes with rounded over edges:

DJ Delorie

The Mike Dembroge entity posted thusly:

I'm kinda that way too, but it's not so much them suggesting something different. What I dread is going into a store to buy something that is for some other purpose than usual.

Say I want an alternator, but it isn't for a vehicle. If I go into an auto parts store and ask for a particular type of alternator, I end up in quite a frustrating conversation, trying to explain that it doesn't matter what brand it is, or what car it was meant to go in. I have walked out in frustration more than once (though the item not always an alternator).

I was actually quite pleased the last time I did this at Canadian Tire, when the fellow actually listened to me when I was looking for a set of ignition wires, and said "It doesn't matter what car it's built for. I am looking for the cheapest set.". He spent perhaps a minute on his computer, went into the back, and came out with a set that was perfect for the task, and was cheaper than any of the stuff on the shelf. My tractor runs a lot better now, and I only had to spend about 1/4 of what Case/IH wanted for a set.

-- O Sibili, Si. Ergo Fortibus es in ero. O Nobili! Deis Trux. Vatis inem? Causen Dux!

Under no circumstances will I ever purchase anything offered to me in an unsolicited email message. Nor will I forward chain letters, petitions, mass mailings, or virus warnings. This is my contribution to the survival of the online community.

Reply to
Oleg Lego

think the undercut area would be so small and/or shallow that it would be hard to grip. Have you ever tried it and if so, does it work?

Here's what I used:

's on a very nice 59' yacht, so I didn't cut corners. They really liked the fingerpulls I made with that bit and it really set off the piece.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Dembroge

I haven't done it. I use the through-hole technique I showed you. I agree that the right bit does a better job, just pointing out that there are other ways to do it.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

ROFLMAO!

Reply to
Vic Baron

This is true 99.99% of the time. However, there are exceptions. In a HD near here me (San Leandro, CA), there are 2 guys that work there that are great. One is in the tool department, but I haven't seen him in a while, and the other works in the electrical dept. When I was rewiring my garage, he helped me a lot. He's obviously an ex-electrician and was more than willing to help.

Reply to
Mike Dembroge

Interesting. Like to share any details, such as the industry?

Sounds similar to things a gentleman named A. Einstein was reported to have said. ;-)

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Automotive.

Reply to
Leon

... and you're pretty much guaranteed that any advice you get will be wrong. (DAMHIKT)

Mark & Juanita