Glues Blues!

I have a pontoon boat with a transom in need of replacement. It is 2 pieces of 3/4" marine grade plywood glued together to form a transom 1 1/2" thick. Would anyone know which glue I should use? I am tempted to use Gorilla Glue, but would appreciate some advise.
Marine grade two part epoxy.
Brandon wrote: > I have a pontoon boat with a transom in need of replacement. It is 2 > pieces of 3/4" marine grade plywood glued together to form a transom 1 > 1/2" thick. Would anyone know which glue I should use? I am tempted > to use Gorilla Glue, but would appreciate some advise.
EPOXY
Period End of report.
Lew
Epoxy or recorcinol are the only glues that will work in this application. Epoxy is easier to find and use and has greater strength. If the problem were mine, I would fasten the two pieces together using epoxy and bronze ring nails.

Brandon wrote:

As they said, epoxy. I'd also thicken it some with cabosil so that you can be sure that the entire surfaces are glued. Decent source of both... http://www.uscomposites.com/epoxy.html
--

dadiOH

3-M makes adhesives specifically developed for your end use....both above and below the water line. Gorilla Glue *might* work as well but to be sure I would check the following link and maybe make a phone call or two.
Good Luck, J
http://www3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/auto_marine_aero/marine/node_GS77R8JLT2be/root_GST1T4S9TCgv/vroot_GS4JK4Y166ge/gvel_QH8HT14PGTgl/theme_us_marine_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html
Brandon wrote:

Marine plywood is generally made with melamine-formaldehyde or phenol-formaldehyde adhesives. Resorcinol-formaldehyde is in the same family and has similar properties so it is the obvious choice to bond together two pieces of marine plywood. You might want to read the tech bulletin at <http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?product_idC .
That said, epoxy should give a perfectly adequate bond in that application.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate