Glues Blues!

I have a pontoon boat with a transom in need of replacement. It is 2 pieces of 3/4" marine grade plywood glued together to form a transom 1

1/2" thick. Would anyone know which glue I should use? I am tempted to use Gorilla Glue, but would appreciate some advise.
Reply to
Brandon

Marine grade two part epoxy.

Reply to
RjK

Brandon wrote: > I have a pontoon boat with a transom in need of replacement. It is 2 > pieces of 3/4" marine grade plywood glued together to form a transom 1 > 1/2" thick. Would anyone know which glue I should use? I am tempted > to use Gorilla Glue, but would appreciate some advise.

EPOXY

Period End of report.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Reply to
Dave W

As they said, epoxy. I'd also thicken it some with cabosil so that you can be sure that the entire surfaces are glued. Decent source of both...

dadiOH

Reply to
Tom Cavanagh

3-M makes adhesives specifically developed for your end use....both above and below the water line. Gorilla Glue *might* work as well but to be sure I would check the following link and maybe make a phone call or two.

Good Luck, J

Joe Bemier

Marine plywood is generally made with melamine-formaldehyde or phenol-formaldehyde adhesives. Resorcinol-formaldehyde is in the same family and has similar properties so it is the obvious choice to bond together two pieces of marine plywood. You might want to read the tech bulletin at .

That said, epoxy should give a perfectly adequate bond in that application.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Thanks guys for all of your insight!

Epoxy it is.