Gasoline as finish?

Page 2 of 2

I actually didn't do it. I tried it... it was like having charcoal lighter fluid in my mouth. I worked around old roofers many years ago that would pull piece off the kettle and chew on it. Eccch!
Like smoking grapvine, I upgraded as soon as possible! ;^)
Robert
(You know... that tar business could explain a lot, Leon.... I'm just sayin'.... )
I actually didn't do it. I tried it... it was like having charcoal lighter fluid in my mouth. I worked around old roofers many years ago that would pull piece off the kettle and chew on it. Eccch!
Ok, what part of trying it, is not doing it. Like our ex prez, you did not inhale/swallow? LOL
LOL.
Actually I think I only tried it too as I only recall doing it once, cuz every one else was doing it right before we all walked to the bridge..... ;~)
Like smoking grapvine, I upgraded as soon as possible! ;^)
Can't say I tried that, that I recall.
Robert
(You know... that tar business could explain a lot, Leon.... I'm just sayin'.... )
Hey, I asked for it. LOL

The pigment in walnut Watco is asphaltum.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I relate. I used to live in Veracruz. My car was a Fiat Spyder which had a wood dash and consol piece; wood was 5/16" ply, walnut face, resin finish. It was in poor repair and needed replacing so I bought a teak board onetime I was in the US.
The teak board was rough and way too thick - I needed it skinnied down to 3/4 max and I had no plane. There was a cabinet shop nearby and I had seen a large joiner there so took it to the guy figuring a few passes on the joiner would suffice for my needs. Instead, he works on it with a hand plane for 20 minutes or so. When he finished I asked him how much I owed him, he says to give him a six pack of Coke sometime.
I liked Mexico :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Teak is loaded with silica (lovely wood for making smoking pipes, char is like ceramic). How many times did he have to resharpen the plane iron?
"Father Haskell" wrote:
Teak is loaded with silica (lovely wood for making smoking pipes, char is like ceramic). How many times did he have to resharpen the plane iron? ------------------------------------------------ SFWIW, my local drum sanding shop will sand teak, provided you are willing to pay for replacing sanding drums (3 of them in a set).
Last time I checked, it was $2,500 and that was 15 years ago.
Lew
Father Haskell wrote:

He had NP.
I've always heard about silica and teak but I've used a fair amount of it and never had a problem of any kind with any tool. Including steel (not carbide) blades on circular saws. Bandsaws too.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

I used too, as well. In my mind I am remembering it as it was 30-40 years ago as a warm and sleepy place to go. The people were really friendly, and they got a chuckle out my high school/college spanish.
The leather work that could be bought down there was really nice. I had several friends (we live a couple of hours from the border) that used to buy all leather boots and shoes down there on a regular basis, and their wives bought a lot of purses.
Thinking of this time of the season, it used to be great to go down there for Christmas shopping as well for all manner of hand crafted, unique gifts.
I have a client that maintains a villa in Toluca which is far enough away from the border to get away from the nightly murder(s). She tells me that unless you go to an older craftsman's shop, the stuff they have for sale is mostly made in China or India. How ironic.
With two to three murders a night in the border towns, shootouts with the police on public streets, kidnappings, etc., you couldn't get me down there for any amount of money. It isn't safe.
And the guys that do different labor jobs for me (all legal with papers) that go back home on occasion <<HATE>> going through the border towns. They hide their money in different areas on their bodies as they know they will probably get robbed, or be the victim of a shakedown by the cops or neighborhood protection racket.
So before they go back home, the make sure they have their most worn out work clothes on, their most torn up shoes, and skip haircuts for a month of so before the visit home. This seems to confuse most of the border riff raff. The good news is that they tell me they are almost never bothered on the way back as they know the family got everything of worth from them.
Personally, I don't even go to the border towns on our side of the border as they aren't much safer. I haven't for years.
Robert
Het, I used Tractor fuel in a five gallon pail with a spigot at teh bottom and some screening over the inlet area and soak old roofing shingles in the fuel for days, they apply it to my barn. It gives a nice appearance, and keeps the bees away (I'm told)
On 08 Dec 2009 12:44:03 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

Sounds like gasoline on wood will dissolve resins and possibly stain since gasoline contains a variety of mostly low-chain hydrocarbons. You can always try in on a scrap piece, but messing with gasoline is not a good idea. Petroleum jelly might work, and certainly safer and cleaner. Mineral oil is another good choice for wooden kitchen utensils.

I have never used gasoline deliberately on wood, but if you want an incredibly rugged finish, consider cyanacrolate glue (superglue) for small items.
One time I was turning a bunch of ballpoint pens out of various scrap woods I had in the shop to give to friends and folks who came by. Long ago, my Uncle had taught me the value of keeping brown paper grocery sacks around for polishing wood and I was thinking about just burnishing the pens with that. I had a big bottle in the refrigerator of superglue and thought that if I dripped some on a pen blank before burnishing, that it'd waterproof the blank. I did this with the lathe stopped, BTW. <grin>
The superglue uses capillary action to really permeate the wood it is contact with and both reinforces and plasticises it. In fact, as most of us know, wood saturated with cyanoacrylate glue can be drilled and tapped for minor mechanical forces.
The glue really soaked into the pen blanks and didn't raise the grain. When I then burnished them with the brown paper bag paper, they took on a glow as if I'd done about a dozen coats of finish.
--
Nonny

What does it mean when drool runs
On 08 Dec 2009 12:44:03 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

http://www.darwinawards.com /
Regards,

"Look at this....hold my beer...."

so gasoline evaporating off the wood will NOT leave a finish.
Using "leaded" gasoline as a solvent in oil based paint has the effect of hardening the finish and increasing the gloss, however.
It's the lead.

So uh,,, it leaves ...varnish? ;~)

polymerize.

I'm sorry, I could not resist. I hope the hook was not set too deep. ;~)
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

What it leaves is dye, detergent, and additives.
On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 20:16:10 -0500, the infamous "J. Clarke"

And that lovely, oh-so-fresh scent!
-- To know what you prefer instead of humbly saying Amen to what the world tells you you ought to prefer, is to have kept your soul alive. -- Robert Louis Stevenson