Gasoline as finish?

I relate. I used to live in Veracruz. My car was a Fiat Spyder which had a wood dash and consol piece; wood was 5/16" ply, walnut face, resin finish. It was in poor repair and needed replacing so I bought a teak board onetime I was in the US.

The teak board was rough and way too thick - I needed it skinnied down to

3/4 max and I had no plane. There was a cabinet shop nearby and I had seen a large joiner there so took it to the guy figuring a few passes on the joiner would suffice for my needs. Instead, he works on it with a hand plane for 20 minutes or so. When he finished I asked him how much I owed him, he says to give him a six pack of Coke sometime.

I liked Mexico :)

Reply to
dadiOH

Yeah, I did (76). On a hot day the streets in KC would get a bit soft...dig down to the "clean" stuff, dig out a chunk and chew away. Why? Beats me, must have tasted terrible. The only possible reason I can think of is that there was/is a chewing gum called "Blackjack" which looked like tar...it cost money, street tar didn't.

I also used to chew wheat. It wasn't bad.

Reply to
dadiOH

Het, I used Tractor fuel in a five gallon pail with a spigot at teh bottom and some screening over the inlet area and soak old roofing shingles in the fuel for days, they apply it to my barn. It gives a nice appearance, and keeps the bees away (I'm told)

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

I actually didn't do it. I tried it... it was like having charcoal lighter fluid in my mouth. I worked around old roofers many years ago that would pull piece off the kettle and chew on it. Eccch!

Like smoking grapvine, I upgraded as soon as possible! ;^)

Robert

(You know... that tar business could explain a lot, Leon.... I'm just sayin'.... )

Reply to
nailshooter41

I actually didn't do it. I tried it... it was like having charcoal lighter fluid in my mouth. I worked around old roofers many years ago that would pull piece off the kettle and chew on it. Eccch!

Ok, what part of trying it, is not doing it. Like our ex prez, you did not inhale/swallow? LOL

LOL.

Actually I think I only tried it too as I only recall doing it once, cuz every one else was doing it right before we all walked to the bridge..... ;~)

Like smoking grapvine, I upgraded as soon as possible! ;^)

Can't say I tried that, that I recall.

Robert

(You know... that tar business could explain a lot, Leon.... I'm just sayin'.... )

Hey, I asked for it. LOL

Reply to
Leon

Since we were in the same area (UMKC, Marshall MO) what was the grass stem that kids would slip apart mid stem and chew? I used to call it Crab Grass and what the stem was would correspond to the seed-bearing shoot it sends up every 20 minutes or so it seemed.

Reply to
Nonny

We called it Johnson Grass ... not entirely sure of the spelling.

Reply to
Swingman

Teak is loaded with silica (lovely wood for making smoking pipes, char is like ceramic). How many times did he have to resharpen the plane iron?

Reply to
Father Haskell

Teak is loaded with silica (lovely wood for making smoking pipes, char is like ceramic). How many times did he have to resharpen the plane iron?

------------------------------------------------ SFWIW, my local drum sanding shop will sand teak, provided you are willing to pay for replacing sanding drums (3 of them in a set).

Last time I checked, it was $2,500 and that was 15 years ago.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

On Tue, 08 Dec 2009 07:41:08 -0600, the infamous Steve Turner scrawled the following:

Probably not

You can piss on copper for a nice patina, but on wood, it just leaves a horrible odor. If you're a pet owner, you won't notice it, but everyone else who comes into your home will. YMMV.

-- To know what you prefer instead of humbly saying Amen to what the world tells you you ought to prefer, is to have kept your soul alive. -- Robert Louis Stevenson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Probably not

NOW you tell me :-)

Reply to
Steve Turner

On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 20:16:10 -0500, the infamous "J. Clarke" scrawled the following:

And that lovely, oh-so-fresh scent!

-- To know what you prefer instead of humbly saying Amen to what the world tells you you ought to prefer, is to have kept your soul alive. -- Robert Louis Stevenson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

So are you saying that if I piss on some wood in my house and get rid of my dog no one will notice? ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Brome grass, or Broom grass.

Also Timothy. Timothy was sweeter, particularly if it wasn't too mature.

Reply to
clare

"Leon" wrote in news:WJednRxTUMTys73WnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Only if you bark loudly when you hear the door bell.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

He had NP.

I've always heard about silica and teak but I've used a fair amount of it and never had a problem of any kind with any tool. Including steel (not carbide) blades on circular saws. Bandsaws too.

Reply to
dadiOH

On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 17:10:37 -0600, the infamous "Leon" scrawled the following:

Yeah, go ahead and try that Leon. Let us know how you fare.

-- To know what you prefer instead of humbly saying Amen to what the world tells you you ought to prefer, is to have kept your soul alive. -- Robert Louis Stevenson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

LOL

Reply to
Leon

I used too, as well. In my mind I am remembering it as it was 30-40 years ago as a warm and sleepy place to go. The people were really friendly, and they got a chuckle out my high school/college spanish.

The leather work that could be bought down there was really nice. I had several friends (we live a couple of hours from the border) that used to buy all leather boots and shoes down there on a regular basis, and their wives bought a lot of purses.

Thinking of this time of the season, it used to be great to go down there for Christmas shopping as well for all manner of hand crafted, unique gifts.

I have a client that maintains a villa in Toluca which is far enough away from the border to get away from the nightly murder(s). She tells me that unless you go to an older craftsman's shop, the stuff they have for sale is mostly made in China or India. How ironic.

With two to three murders a night in the border towns, shootouts with the police on public streets, kidnappings, etc., you couldn't get me down there for any amount of money. It isn't safe.

And the guys that do different labor jobs for me (all legal with papers) that go back home on occasion going through the border towns. They hide their money in different areas on their bodies as they know they will probably get robbed, or be the victim of a shakedown by the cops or neighborhood protection racket.

So before they go back home, the make sure they have their most worn out work clothes on, their most torn up shoes, and skip haircuts for a month of so before the visit home. This seems to confuse most of the border riff raff. The good news is that they tell me they are almost never bothered on the way back as they know the family got everything of worth from them.

Personally, I don't even go to the border towns on our side of the border as they aren't much safer. I haven't for years.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41