Galvanized Aluminum?

I bought some hot-dipped galvanized nails for use in a project to build an elevated walkway around the building shown here . (I'm moving the door around to the back of the building.) I noticed right off that the slightest off-center hammer blow would bend the nails I bought. I might not be Tom Silva, but when I hit a nail with a hammer it usually drives home. After too many bent nails I examined the nails. Where they bent the zinc peeled off revealing aluminum beneath. I also noted that hammer blows caused the nail heads to shed some zinc in nails that did not bend.

What the ~!? I think these nails are sub-standard because they bend easily and because the zinc can peel. They are not suitable for use in today's pressure-treated lumber.

Comments? Experiences?

Davoud

Reply to
Davoud

I might have noticed that the nails are lighter weight. Is there a reason to galvanize aluminum nails. Aluminum nails do indeed bend easily. I's say that what you got was not what you bought.

Reply to
Leon

I've never seen nor heard of galvanized Al nails -- I suspect they're simply a very soft steel import. What does the box say?

On the subject of nails I'm finding harder to get decent quality nails any more, even from the "real" lumber or hardware stores.

--

Reply to
dpb

I use those for things like white vinyl siding and trim, as they won't ever create rust streaks.

I don't think aluminum nails were ever intended for PT wood.

**
**

B A R R Y

From what you've said you're right, they're not suitable for use with ACQ lumber.

Aluminum fasteners are not to be used.

Galvanized nails must meet the ASTM A-153 standard. This usually means double hot dipped (at minimum).

Reply to
Nova

Davoud:

B A R R Y:

I don't believe you would be using _these_ for that purpose; 50 or 60d x 4-1/2 inches...

Yet these were sold for that purpose!

Davoud

Reply to
Davoud

Davoud:

dpb:

Only that they are hot-dip galvanized. But they are, indeed, aluminum.

Ain't it da truth!?

Davoud

Reply to
Davoud

Davoud wrote: ...

If Al, that sounds like a gutter nail...what the heck are you nailing w/ them?

A google found what I knew of--galvanized Al panel stock, but nary a single hit of "galvanized" in combination w/ "Al" and "nail" except where both Al and galvanized nails were referenced.

--

Reply to
dpb

That can be checked with a magnet.

Aluminum is amphiprotic, that means it reacts with both bases and acids. But because it naturally forms a very tough oxide (saphire), pure aluminum is naturally corrosion resistant to anything that cannot penetrate that oxide layer. Concentrated Nitric acid is routinely shipped in aluminum vessels. But dilute nitric acid would eat through them.

Anyhow, IIRC the copper compounds used in AQC treated lumber will eat through the oxide and corrode aluminum. But unless I am mistaken, it eats through zinc too,. The best metal to use with AQC lumber woudl probably be bronze--very expensive. Copper plated steel would be my. possibly naive, first choice.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

Fred the Red Shirt wrote: ...

SS or double-dipped hot galvanized are the recommended choices.

--

Reply to
dpb

I think Mr. DJB is right on the money!

**
**

B A R R Y

Ah yes, 304 or 316 SS would be good too.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt