fuming error

Cross-posted/pics on abpw.

As you can see from the photo.I built a modest fuming tent. It seems that leaving it outdoors (or in the sun) was a bad idea as the water from the ammonia evaporated, condensed on the plastic and dripped down onto some of my white oak spindles.

I'm not sure if the stains are from just water or ammoniafied-water. The stains actually look allot like the water stains on some of the rough-cut white oak boards that I have in stock. Those stains seem to be fairly superficial and plane off with no more stock removal than required for a smooth finish.

A little sanding seems to get rid of the really ugly edge of the stain, but leaves behind a fairly even and well defined dark blotch.

Does any have any thoughts on how to lessen the appearance of these stains?

Perhaps another round of fuming (this time in the garage) might darken the wood a bit more.

Might some application of water even out the color change?

Any thoughts would be appreciated

-Steve

Reply to
C & S