frozen chuck

I have an old drill that I found (none electric breast drill). It seems in good shape except the chuck has a bit in it that is broken off and I can't seem to get the chuck open. Any suggestions of how to get it unstuck without damaging the drill?

Reply to
william kossack

squirt some oil on it and let it settle for half hour? then tap the jaws with a toffee hammer(pin hammer)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Soak it in Kroil.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Kroil is the best for frozen, rusted, galled parts. Been using it for 30 yrs in machine shops.

Reply to
Rick Samuel

I've had the chuck with some 3-1 oil for a couple days. Tapped it with a hammer a couple times today but no luck.

I did pick up a small bottle of liquid wrench today to give it a try.

Rick Samuel wrote:

Reply to
william kossack

If that doesn't work, try "electrolytic rust removal" or freezing it - the rust will contract at a different rate to the steel, and pop clean off - if you can get it cold enough (try liquid nitrogen if you can get it, or a co2 fire extinguisher). Similar idea is putting in a very hot oven for an hour, but this will soften (anneal) any hardened parts on the chuck (and is thus not recommended).

Reply to
bigegg

Kroil, liquid wrench, 3-in-1... Interesting...

Personally, I find a mixture of soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and olive oil much more palatable for tough chuck. Oh, and thaw the chuck first.

Reply to
lwasserm