Freud Router Modification

Has anyone cut the base of the Freud FT2000E Router to enlarge the hole? I can hardly get a 2 1/4" bit into it. I am using it as a table mount and would like to change bits from the top of the table. This will never work, since I can't get the wrench onto the nut. I plan on cutting a hole 3 1/2" in the top of the table, and use inserts. Wow that is a small opening. Wondering if anyone had any luck cutting the base. Thanks

Reply to
woodman

I've found Freud (UK) to be quite good at spares, so I'd incline towards getting a new base casting and sacrificing it for a permanent table mount. Possible new pillars too, if it's easier to swap the motor on the pillars than to swap the pillars on the base.

I do find the small blind tapped holes in th ebase inconveniently small for table mounting. One day I'll drill them through, so as to allow longer screws.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Yes, did mine about 2 years ago. Removed the springs and some other non-essential parts and have mine mounted permanently in a router table on a Jessem, Rout-R-Razer.

As for cutting the top to a larger size - its easy enough with a metal blade on a jig saw then file it to clean it up. The material you remove is really minimal and does not lessen the strength of the base. You're actually just completing the hole by cutting off the flat edge they put there. Before I did it though, I did call Freud and priced out a new base - $64 at the time and included some other parts (tubes etc.) which you really don't need.

I've been using the large, Freud panel raising bits with no problem. I also bought the "Bent Wrench" from CMT and filed it open to 27mm to fit the collet nut. Works great too...

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.