Frank Lloyd Wright Easy Chair (Morris -ish)

Page 1 of 2
I have seen, on a number of occasions, a chair similar to a morris chair designed by FLW. At least I believe he might have designed it, as I believe that most of the furniture in the homes he designed was his as well.
Anyhoo, this chair has even broader arms that extend without tapering or sloping around three sides.
Back cushion stands not so nearly as proud of the main body of the chair as on the Morris you see commonly today.
Is that clear? I cannot find a pic... waitaminnit.... saw one of them last week on CBS Sunday Morning. Piece about an author who wrote a book about the women in FLW's life. "The Women", I think.
Anyone got a pic or know where I might find plans?
TIA
D'ohBoy
D'ohBoy wrote:

If you're tempted to make an FLW chair, be aware that even he admitted that he wasn't any good at designing chairs. Any plans would be owned by the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation http://www.franklloydwright.org .
J. Clarke wrote:

His chairs were for the comfort of the eye only, not the body.
Steve Turner wrote:

And if they're anything like his houses, your knees will be in your chest if you're over 5'5". :-)
--

-MIKE-

Just watched a biography of FLW. Most of the hype was just that, self promoted, no less. I've seen his work and houses. Yes, Falling Water, Guggenheim, and Marin CC, were gorgeous works of art, viewed from the exterior, but I'd hate to have to liven in any of his houses. FW and Taliesan interiors look like doctor's waiting rooms, right angle torture chambers. Not a soft corner or spot to be found, so unlike his later exteriors. Oh well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
nb

engineering problems, etc.
On May 22, 12:50pm, "Lee Michaels"

I have to agree. I think FLW is overrated. I've heard it's a huge job just keeping Falling Water from washing away.

It's unclear what you mean by, "I've seen his work and houses." when that's put right after, "Just watched a biography of (sic) FLW." Have you visited them in person? Which ones?
-MIKE- wrote:

Besides, if you see a Morris chair in a FLW house, it's likely a Morris chair, of which there are many variants by different manufacturers.

Yes, and his roofs leaked and I agree, most of his interiors were surprisingly non-useful for the space and dark to boot.
BUT BUT BUT:
If you feel a morris chair (of the traditional type) is comfortable, this chair offers the same ergonomics but styled somewhat differently. I have some unbelievable curly 1/4-sawn white oak that I want to showcase on the arms of the chair, which appear to be in the neighborhood of 6 inches wide. Plan to bookmatch the left and right.
The wife says no one will ever notice this sort of detail. HAH! *I* notice this sort of thing and guess what honey? I'm making the chair for me. Screw other people, I plan to drink a lotta good bourbon and single malt in that chair.
And read good books.
And fall asleep.
D'ohBoy
D'ohBoy wrote:

:)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
The wife says no one will ever notice this sort of detail. HAH! *I* notice this sort of thing and guess what honey? I'm making the chair for me. Screw other people, I plan to drink a lotta good bourbon and single malt in that chair.
And read good books.
And fall asleep. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ READ???? You obviously are not of the video game generation.
Fall asleep?? You must be an old fart.
I can relate. Sound like my big, overstuffed leather chair.
We were in Spring Green Wisconsin a few years ago and drove out to Taliesan. The visitor's center was interesting but you REALLY have to want to see the house to visit it. Bottom of the line tour was basically a drive through the grounds for $40. From there tours went up, way up, for actual walking tours of the house. As I recall the architectural tour was $80 a head.
Wasn't that interested.
Wright is an example of how far a huge ego can take you. When he designed a house, he designed much of the furniture that went into it - and expected it to stay. There is a Wright house in Wichita, Kansas where we used to live. Apparently when the original occupants decided to swap some of his furniture with some of their own taste, he threw a fit.

Not that old, but feel that way. Is 42 old? When I go down to the UW for lunch those 20 year old girls look like they are 16 and then oh.... it's me that's old, not them that's that young ;)
And as my buddy once commented on a gyro run in spring: "We're invisible to them."
D'ohBoy
"D'ohBoy" wrote

Good grief, you are just getting started.
My kids are older than that.
It's all a matter of attitude.
As Satchel used to say, "Don't look over your shoulder, IT might be gaining on you".
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

A friend of mine is 73, his daughter just moved out, and he's getting depressed--first time in his life that he's thinking of himself as old. Another is over 90 and going strong and is still surprised and annoyed when his body won't do something anymore that he wants it to do.
Personally at 54 I thought I was old, turned out that I just had a medical problem that an outpatient surgery fixed in 2 hours.
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=frank%20lloyd%20wright%20chairs&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi
David Merrill

BTDT. But thanks anyhoo!
Gonna look at stickley images, etc....
D'ohboy
If the arm and back horizontal rail sort of wrap round all at the same height, level with the top of the cushions, you may want to search for 'Prarie' furniture.
A couple of examples from Google, scroll as required:
http://margoliscustomcarpentry.com/handcraftedfurniture.aspx&usg=__SyvFrUOeyHlumlXq2WYOqldiG1w=&hH0&wd0&szQ&hl=en&startX&um=1&tbnid hu9cFs5KtCGM:&tbnh3&tbnw7&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dprarie%2Bchairs%26ndsp%3D18%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26start%3D54%26um%3D1
http://www.unfinishedkits.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc%3FStore_Code%3DM%26Screen%3DPROD%26Product_Code%3DHS0052&usg=__eHI7l6SKSRftEK3cTgweKV7mGKg=&hE5&wU0&szX&hl=en&start6&um=1&tbnid=dxRhmeAhy8Q8aM:&tbnh 0&tbnw3&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dprarie%2Bchairs%26ndsp%3D18%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26start%3D18%26um%3D1
It was an offshoot of the Gustav Stickley 'Arts & Crafts' style furniture, when the manufacturers were looking for ways to continue the popularity of their products, much like calling everything 'Mission' & slapping on a coat of dark stain, right towards the end of the 'Arts & Crafts' marketplace popularity. I have seen photos of 2 & 3 seater lounge/sofa seating to match the chairs.
I think it is only a coincidence the FLW also named one of his styles 'Prarie' a few years/decades later.
Been wrong before, probably will be again ;-)
regards Bruce
On Fri, 22 May 2009 07:53:35 -0700 (PDT), "D'ohBoy"

BSRLee wrote:

http://margoliscustomcarpentry.com/handcraftedfurniture.aspx&usg=__SyvFrUOeyHlumlXq2WYOqldiG1w=&hH0&wd0&szQ&hl=en&startX&um=1&tbnid hu9cFs5KtCGM:&tbnh3&tbnw7&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dprarie%2Bchairs%26ndsp%3D18%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26start%3D54%26um%3D1
http://www.unfinishedkits.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc%3FStore_Code%3DM%26Screen%3DPROD%26Product_Code%3DHS0052&usg=__eHI7l6SKSRftEK3cTgweKV7mGKg=&hE5&wU0&szX&hl=en&start6&um=1&tbnid=dxRhmeAhy8Q8aM:&tbnh 0&tbnw3&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dprarie%2Bchairs%26ndsp%3D18%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26start%3D18%26um%3D1
That jogged my memory.
If that's the chair the OP is looking for, there are plans available at http://www.woodstore.net/missofandcha.html .
The current Stickley catalog has two variants (as well as different finishes) http://www.stickley.com/OurProducts_Results.cfm?Collection=Mission&cat1 &view=all (look about a third of the way down the page), no doubt for Stickley prices.
Drawings for that and a lot else can be found in (Amazon.com product link shortened) for 16 bucks. Note that the "shop drawings" series is just that--carefully measured drawings of the finished piece--some details of construction you have to work out for yourself.
Google "Stickley 416 chair" for more.
Note that historically Gustav Stickley's "The Craftsman" (online at http://digicoll.library.wisc.edu/cgi-bin/DLDecArts/DLDecArts-idx?type=browse&scope=DLDECARTS.HOMEDESIGN ) was a major influence on Wright and he used Stickley furnishings in some of his early houses before he started designing his own. And if you read some of "The Craftsman" you find that in turn Morris had a major influence on Stickley. Also, historians consider the "Prairie School" to have started in the late 1800s.