Found Wood Screws I Love

I ordered an assorment of wood screws from a company called Screw Products Inc. They sent me 10 containers (plastic jars) of "Star Drive" wood screws in various sizes from 1" - 4" @ $57.00. It was well woth the money. I've bben using them for a week now in everything from plywoods, to #2 pine, and hardwoods and they've been spectacular. They drive in any wood easily and I've yet to even come close to stripping a head yet. When I haven't drilled a pilot hole they still go in smooth, almost as if they are "self-piloting". The screws got some sort of ridges on the underside of the head that make them flush mount without cracking or chipping up the surface area around them. Make my old Crapsmen drill seem like its brand new they go in so easy. I would recoomend them to anyone.
Joey in Chesapeake
Do they have a website?
Rob

Rob wrote:

http://www.screw-products.com/diy.htm
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
Rob wrote:

Took me about 30 seconds to find them--I googled "Screw Products Inc" and they were the first hit. The site is <http://www.screw-products.com/ . A few days ago I had several square-drive screws in a row cam out before they were set, buggering up the head too much to be able to get them either farther in or back out (ended up grinding them down flush with a Dremel) and at the time I wished that I could find some wood screws with Torx heads. I guess "ask and ye shall receive" because these is them.

--
--John
I found some, too. They're not the same brand, cost about as much as drywall screws, and come with a trim head - imagine trim head screws that don't strip!

I can't speak for your situation but I've found stripping the head of a torx is much easier than a square drive. Any time I've used torx (automotive use only), I've always had one or two that strip out. Anytime I remove a torx headed bolt from my Jeep, I replace with a regular socket head type bolt. The square drive screws I've used from McFeely's have worked very well...in fact I can't think of a situation that I've ever stripped one of them out. Again, your mileage may vary and I suppose there are situations where a torx would be preferred...I just haven't found it yet. Cheers, cc
Haven't tried McFeeley's brand, but these have outperformed (as far as stripping goes) every philips or square head I've ever used.
Joey in Chesapeake

Four star head driver bits come as part of the package also.

I bought a trial pack of these a year or so ago and they were so awesome I bought a bunch more. Now I figure: what is the point of using any other kind of screw? The combo of these with an impact driver is dreamy, if a little overkill on the cam out front. I even got my friend 5 lb of the #8 2" stainless for his wedding last summer.
Torx rocks. I've been wondering for years why wood screws didn't come with them and why they were not more widespread in machine screws. I guess it is patented. Can't wait for that to run out...
-Holly

JClark wrote:

Were you using good square drive screws? Not cheapo off brand? Or worse, square/cross, the worst of both worlds. I've gone through 10's of thousands of square drive screws and almost all malfunctions are due to operator error. Things to watch for, crappy bits, crud in the square recess. here's a test. Take a 2" or so screw and load it in your favorite driver. Now pick up the driver by lifting it with the screw. If you can't do it try a new bit or better screws. This may be harder for you gorillas who use those big honkin DeWalt monsters so maybe you can try with the battery pack removed.
mike
Mike wrote:

They were from McFeelys FWIW.

That may have been the problem.