Forrest Saw Service Deteriorating?

Page 2 of 2

Interesting... I sent a WWII to them about the same date and had it back in about a week... Guess they like me better then you. ;-)
Anyhow I've had that blade for over three years and it was still cutting well. I sent it back because I knocked a carbide off on a real hard knot and figured a repair was in order. The blade came back with the carbide replaced, and sharpened, and it cuts like new again. I had a good experience with them.
John
Joe, I use a local sharpening service. Most modern services use the same machinery to sharpen.
I agree with Rob when it come to the notion of one blade for all occasions. I have a few Forrest blades and they work fine. Almost as good as a custom blade from my local service.
Dave

I used to use Forrest sharpening service. I figured that they made the blade I valued most, they should maintain it. While talking to my local sharpening guy I brought up the Forrest and the sharpening. He told me he spent $100,000 buying a machine to sharpen Forrest type blades. He sharpenend mine and it was every bit as good as the factory. So, maybe you need a special machine to sharpen these blades and locals without the machine can not do as well? max

Its not so special, any modern sharpening shop can do them. I suppose a "Forrest type" blade means a carbide tipped saw blade.
Dave

My local service has the trick machinery that cost as much as a house also. I think what most locals do not offer is to straighten a blade. My Forrest came back nice and sharp from the local shop also but the quality of cut was inferior to a new blade. If you have a blade that no longer runs true your local service may not be able to fix all of you problems.
Leon:

I'd try a new service. The first thing my local shop does is true the blade then sharpen it. What good is a sharp blade that does not run true? Frankly, I find it a bit dubious that Forrest charges extra to true a blade. How do you sharpen a blade that has excessive runout?
Dave

Yeah I switched to Forrest. Oddly the old sharpening company does a LOT of business and I do not know of one that does flatten blades that are local.
What good is a sharp blade that does not run true? Exactly but not all flatten the blades.

I suspect certain tooth tips get ground a bit more than necessary.
[...snip...]

[...snip...]
If they don't flatten the blade, they can't really be sure they will accurately sharpen it. The deal with a Forrest blade, by all accounts, is to start with an exceptionally flat blade. But a good sharpener will flatten the blade as well.

Damn, that is expensive. $100,000 at 6% for five years is $1933 per month. Typical 20 day, 8 hour work day, the machine is costing him $12 an hour just to sit on the floor. Add $20 an hour for labor, at least $20 for overhead, he has to grind a lot of blades to make a profit.

Well, the machines do last for a long time, and he does get to depreciate the equipment. But that said, my local sharpener said that when he bough 3 computer controlled sharpeners that he needed 3 just to keep up. He solicits business from all the local builders in the Houston area. I suspect that there are 50 to 75 housing developments steady building homes at any given time.

running two shifts?
<G>

Since I don't own a Forrest blade, I don't have any experience with having one sharpened. Is it really necessary to send them back to Forrest or can one use a decent local sharpening service?
Hello there,
I have had two Forrests, a Ridge Carbide, Oldham, Freud, etc., the blade I leave in my saw now is a CMT 40 tooth "General" blade. It is not that expensive and I am really happy with it.
David.

So, David, has the cabinet saw herd been thinned at all? Last I remember, you had three classic Uni's...
Patriarch
Local saw shop. Twelve bucks to sharpen my Forrest blade. Five more bucks to fix a tooth.
There are also tons of mail order places that will do just as good work as Forrest for less money. Forrest ain't doing anything special to that blade.