Forrest make Hogan Hardwoods blades? possible?

Was in Little Rock this Saturday and stopped at the new Hogan Hardwoods. The just moved from nearby Jacksonville and were having an opening sale. They had some 10 inch blades (rip, crosscut and miter) with various tooth count. They looked pretty good and appeared to be very sharp using the fingernail test. While checking out the gentleman mentioned that they were made by Forrest and that they were marked as such. When we tried to find the mark he couldn't but did see "Made in Germany". Haven't had a chanch to use one yet but is it possible he was correct and these really are Forrest blades? If so then woodworkers in the LR area need to get down there because they are marked down by about 75 percent right now.

Reply to
Mike in Arkansas

Don't confuse "made with Forrest" as being the same thing as a product sold under the Forrest brand. Many manufacturers make products for other companies but the quality is controlled by the specification that is agree to. Hogan Hardwoods can spec lower quality materials, tolerances, and quality control.

Reply to
Frank Drackman

"marked down 75 percent.." What does that mean? What did you actually pay for the blade?

Bob

Reply to
bluemax1811-newsgroups

Reply to
Mike in Arkansas

Reply to
Glenn

Let's look at this thing logically. Why would Forrest, a premium sawblade manufacturor with an excellent reputation, selling their saw blades at a premium price, license their blade designs and specifications to anyone who will use it to compete with them at one third Forrest blade prices, AND allow the Forrest name and reputation to be associated with the resulting saw blades? Forrest's market is the US, not Europe so having a manufacturing site in Germany in order to eliminate import duty doesn't seem worth it. This doesn't make sense.

As far as I know, Forrest saw blades are made in the USA, not Germany. As far as I know, Forrest does not license their blade design or specs.

Have two Forrest WWII 10" blades that are both 40 tooth. I don't think they make a 10" 36 tooth blade. Bought both blades at a "show price" of $89 US, the "normal price" normall being from $99 - $110 US.

Forrest blades come with a $5 off Forrest rehsarpening coupon. Did these blades have such a coupon?

If it's a Forrest blade "Forrest" should be somewhere on the blade.

Sounds like a salesperson wanting to make a sale.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

This is a valid point. While it is usually not cost effective to run a seperate operation to make an inferior blade, often the products sold under other names can be the ones made with same material on same line as original brand that simply failed the quality inspection of the original brand.

They do this with computer processors all the time. However, sometimes the original process gets so good that there are no rejects, so then you get the real thing. With computer processors typically folks like to reference the week of the build to get a general idea of the quality.

Reply to
dnoyeB

Glenn, the store is in Little Rock just off of 630. Forget the street name but it's something like Geyer Springs and is the first or second exit on 630 heading east from the airport. Exit right and go 2 or 3 lights and turn left at the Sears warehouse. It's behind the warehous on a deadend.

Charlie b. Your probably right although I was already purchasing the blades when he told me. again I'm not claiming they are any good much less Forrest blades, just though I'd ask.

Mike, who has two new sharp blades of unknown quality and hopes to try them soon.

Reply to
Mike in Arkansas

www,hoganhardwoods.com stores in AR, LA, TX, OK, FL. FWIW, the saw blades in question are not listed on their website.

Reply to
Mike in Arkansas