Formula needed for displacement

Page 2 of 3

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 13:55:21 -0700, the opaque Andrew Walsh

Turn to page 355 of Lee Valley's Handyman-In-Your-Pocket reference book, Andy, old chap. V = (1/6) pi D3 = 0.5235988 x D-cubed.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Heart Attacks: God's revenge for eating his little animal friends -- http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development --
On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 18:07:41 -0700, Larry Jaques

Larry, old chap, you're quite wrong. That's the volume for a sphere of diameter D, not a cylinder of circumference C and height [or length] h.
On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 23:02:59 -0400, the opaque Guess who

Oops, I did give sphere, didn't I? <sigh> Mea culpa.
That's OK, though. Judging by his response to the proper formula, the OP doesn't have anything CLOSE to a clue anyway. Spoonfeeding time.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Heart Attacks: God's revenge for eating his little animal friends -- http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development --

Thanks for the help. I was raised in an area of Canada known as the Yukon and never saw a school until I was 14. I'm a stone and wood carver and it pays my bills. If I could afford to go to school I would.
On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 09:05:10 -0700, Andrew Walsh

Pay no attention. My father had little schooling, but was likely the cleverest man I ever met. It showed in what he did with the schooling he had, and the use of his brain in his trade. You'll find that the smartest people all around are the humblest. They're smart enough to know how little they know in the scheme of things. A good way to reply would be to show some photos of your work in alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking .

I'm not all that short on education, but there are a ton of big gaps. My dad was not much of a teacher. I had read at least 1500 scfi novels before I could write longhand. I have 2 years of college towards a degree in psychology but a basic understanding of math, grammar, and punctuation escape me.

Most of my paid work is pretty mundane, mostly fireplace and mantle work for the rich an famous. My artistic hobby work just brings me trouble. I carve in the style of the Haida Gwaii but I'm a pink skinned red haired transplanted American.<g>
Anyway, I have to go float a dock...thanks for the help.
Andrew Walsh nomail wrote:

Well, I certainly never expected to find an individual these days on the rec who actually hadn't had at least the <opportunity> to receive at least a high school education -- so, given that this is apparently the case I'll make a partial retraction of my former comments but note that a little googling would have undoubtedly brought up a plethora of sites containing all the "geometry explained" sites necessary to answer this and many other questions...
On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 15:43:47 -0500, Duane Bozarth

Boy, I guess I sure missed the mark. I saw a question to which I knew the answer, and proceeded to give it, complete with my work (haven't been able to "show my work" in ages) to the OP.
Little did I know that it was somehow inappropriate or against the rules--that we're supposed to find out for ourselves.
Instead, we get the OP's message, about three posts with the answer, another half dozen or so with information leading to the right answer and the rest of the 41 posts (to date) lambasting the OP for not knowing the answer, not knowing the underlying math, misstating the proposition, and not looking elsewhere for the answer.
What a bunch of crap.
All you people jumping on the OP on the assumption he was too lazy to look up the answer on his own are ten times worse, because you were too lazy to ignore the friggin' original post in the first place.
What a bunch of crap.
But I repeat myself.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
LRod wrote:

Chill, man... :)
I was simply making a (partial) apology to OP who lambasted me for being excessively terse in the response (although I'll admit this isn't in exactly sequential order so you may have missed his reply to my post which simply provided the formula needed w/ no amplification on the assumption anyone here would have had HS math and simply needed reminding of a formula).
While I also tend to answer most anything I know, I also tend to try to point folks to the fact they could probably have found the answer quicker more than likely on their own in the case of really simple stuff or to other ways/places where more fundamental results can be found.
The rec isn't one to particularly harp on the issue of FAQ's and so on, some other ng's I frequent are very much in that mode and I probably tend to bring some of that here as well.

Goes back to what they teach teachers - honor the question to honor the student.
Even if both of them are a bunch of crap.
On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 09:05:10 -0700, the opaque Andrew Walsh

Sorry about that, but the way you answered the other guys...
If you're interested, you can buy school books at a real discount on the Web from www.ABEbooks.com , www.Ebay.com , and www.Half.com, Andrew. Buying older versions at a dollar or two per copy is always an option, too, and since math doesn't change, it's a valid option. G'luck.
-------------------------------------------------------------------- Unfortunately, the term "Homo Sapiens" is a goal, not a description. ---- http://www.diversify.com Web Design for YOUR Business! --------------------------------------------------------------------
On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 05:37:19 -0700, Larry Jaques

Been there ...who hasn't?
    Greetings and Salutations...
On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 23:02:59 -0400, Guess who

    Ok...without reading the REST of this thread...the volume of a cylinder is defined as the area of the END of the cylinder times the length. The area of a circle is defined as PI * radius^2     Now...since we have not been given the radius...we also know that the circumference of a circle is defined as PI * D. Doing a bit of re-arranging... radius = (Circumference /PI) / 2 Plugging some numbers in...     Radius = (12.5" / 3.142) / 2 = 1.98" Now lets see if we can figure out the volume. formula: area = 1.333 * PI * (radius^2) and, plugging some numbers in:     Area = (3.142 * (1.98 * 1.98)) = 12.317 sq" We know that the height of the cylinder is 22 inches, so the volume should be (Height * Area)     Volume = (22 * 12.317) = 270.993 cubic inches.
    Hope this makes sense...     Regards     Dave Mundt
Andrew Walsh nomail wrote:

Get a third grade math book, then read and understand it.
Lew

Actually, the third grade math book might tell you how to calculate the volume of the cylinder, but you don't have enough information to calculate its displacement. Displacement is a measure of weight, not of volume.

But if you know the volume and density of the material to be displaced you can do it.

This is true, but in the original problem statement, we weren't given the density.
wrote in message

Displacement, as someone has mentioned is how much of whatever else is moved out of the way by what you have. That's volume. Now if you're looking for density, the common reference is water (SG), where if you know the volume, think EUREKA!
You need not run naked through the streets of Syracuse, however, it's been done.

If only Archimedes had read HHGTTG, he would have known where his towel was. :-)
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

If it sinks in water you know the volume and the displacement are the same.