Flush mounted mirror hangers

I've used some picture/mirror hangers that allow things to be hung flush to the wall, and I'd like to get some for myself. These are round metal ones that sit in a shallow hole drilled with a ~1" forstner bit. The idea is that you put a screw in the wall, then slip the metal hanger over the top of it, and as you drop it on it pulls it tight to the wall. Basically it's a round metal disk with a hole in the center. Does anyone know where I can get them? Or even what I'm talking about?!

Thanks. JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

It sounds like a "keyhole fastener":

I haven't seen them in a round form.

Reply to
Nova

Keyhole slots? Woodcraft (along with many others) sells them. The ones I've used aren't round, but oval shaped, but essentially do what you're describing.

TT

Reply to
TT

Yes, they are exactly like those you've shown, only they're circular in shape, allowing for simple(r) mortising with a forstner bit. JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

I'm assuming you've seen the router bits that let you do the same thing without separate hardware? Such as:

that won't work, I remember seeing a "shop tip" somewhere (a mag? here? online? can't recall...) that basically used a fender washer to accomplish the purpose you describe. That alone might work if you're mounting on a screw or something with a larger head (i.e. not a finish nail), or you could file/mill a slot on the inside rim of the washer to make a keyhole slot. Either way, you'd just need to drill out a clearance hole, then a shallow countersink for the washer, and you're set. It makes sense in my head - let me know if you want me to try to explain it in more detail. Good luck, Andy

Reply to
Andy

Reply to
Mike Dempsey