fluctuating speed on belt sander

My belt sander speed seems to fluctuate from slow to normal speed as well as not have much power when I use it. I use it mounted upside down. I thought it might be the sanding belt being too loose on the rollers but that wouldn't make the motor slow. I haven't pulled it apart yet but was hoping someone might point me in the right direction. It is a Ryobi CB76K (in Australia but made in China)
Thanks, Tana
I would suspect brushes. Check/change them immediately. Failing to do so can destroy your motor.

CW wrote:

thanks, i'm on to it. Cheers T