Fixing ding on painted cabinet

We painted our kitchen cabinets (first liquid sander, then two coats of primer/sealer and then two coats of latex paint). How can I fix a couple of small dings in the paint? (As we were putting the cabinets in, the doors slipped and knocked against another painted part.) Thanks!

Anne

Reply to
Anne

Anne wrote:>We painted our kitchen cabinets (first liquid sander, then two coats

If they're deep enough dings, you can fill them with a little drywall compound, then a light sanding, and re-paint. If not, I'd just re-paint. You might be surprised at what you/your friends will never notice. Tom Work at your leisure!

Reply to
Tom

Thanks so much for answering, Tom. I think I may just sand a little and repaint; the dings aren't really deep; it's just paint that came off.

Anne

Reply to
Anne

snipped-for-privacy@angelfire.com (Anne) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

May I suggest that you wait a few weeks, and let the paint cure a little more, before you undertake the repair? The top coats will sand more easily then, with less tendency to show.

Maybe after the holidays. ;-)

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Patriarch wrote >May I suggest that you wait a few weeks, and let the paint cure a little

Good thinking. Work at your leisure!

Reply to
Tom

What you can try Anne, is to first brush dab a little paint into the dings and let it dry and harden. It will be higher than the surrounding paint surface. After it's hard, you can sand it down with a little 1000 grit sandpaper to bring it perfectly level with the surrounding surface. Finally, touch up the entire area with a paint blend - just paint the affected area again and spread your touch up coat out into the unaffected areas to blend well. Should be unnoticeable even under close inspection.

-Mike-

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Thanks so much, Mike, Tom, and Patriarch. (I especially like the idea of letting the paint cure. My husband and I are burned-out from all the detail work of painting around the trim. We could use a break!)

Happy Thanksgiving, all!

Anne

Reply to
Anne

I like to fix dings in wood by putting a damp cloth on the ding and then a hot iron on the cloth. The hot steam will fix many small dings.

For wood that is going to be painted I have had excellent results with automotive BONDO!

Reply to
Oughtsix