First resaw for a purpose and inlay, sort of.

I have been taking down a tree from my back yard that I has always called a "weed tree". We planted a maple tree in out back yard about 22 years ago but our Great Dan favored chewing the small limbs off. I put some posts around it and wrapped chicken wire around it to protect it from the dog. The tree died and up cam this "weed tree". The tree got web worms often but was not harmed by them. It shed leaves and any sign of dryness and branches fell off. Damn ugly if you ask me. Anyway am friend identified the tree and upon closer inspection it was indeed a fruit tree. Still ugly, I decided to cut the limbs off and let the trunk set for a while before taking it down. A little research indicated that the tree is in the Osage Orange family.

I cut a small chunk off and did some resawing on my Laguna and was pleasantly surprised to find that the wood is quite yellow in color with occasional brown streaks. I felt it would be a good wood to use with walnut. I posted a picture on A.B.P.W.

With out looking at the file name can you guess what the yellow wood is?

Reply to
Leon

I have been taking down a tree from our back yard that I have always called a "weed tree". We planted a maple tree in out back yard about 22 years ago but our Great Dane favored chewing the small limbs off. I put some posts around the tree and wrapped chicken wire around it to protect it from the dog. The tree died and up came this "weed tree". The tree got web worms often but was not harmed by them. It shed leaves at any sign of dryness and branches fell off often. Damn ugly if you ask me. Anyway a friend identified the tree and upon closer inspection it was indeed a fruit tree. Still ugly, I decided to cut the limbs off and let the trunk set for a while before taking it down. A little research indicated that the tree is in the Osage Orange family.

I cut a small chunk off and did some resawing on my Laguna BS and was pleasantly surprised to find that the wood is quite yellow in color with occasional brown streaks. I felt it would be a good wood to use with walnut. I posted a picture on A.B.P.W.

With out looking at the file name can you guess what the yellow wood is?

Reply to
Leon

Leon wrote: ssnipped

Looks like Osage to me... Bow wood.

Reply to
Robatoy

Leon wrote: ssnipped

Looks like Osage to me... Bow wood.

Reply to
Robatoy

I know what you mean, Leon! LOL.

Roy Underhill once demonstrated the making of a foot operated bench clamp made of osage orange. He touted its hardness, strength qualities and the nice yellow color.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

The wood Is White Mulberry.