Finishing Technique Seen On Festool Video - Why Does He Do It That Way?

Page 2 of 3
On 9/30/2016 4:41 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Two reasons for staining the edge after assembly.
1. He forgot to stain before assembly. 2. He has not yet figured out to tape the joint intersections and pre stain before assembly.
On Friday, September 30, 2016 at 6:28:56 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

Well, it is a Festool video, right from their website.
Maybe he ran out of green tape.
On 9/30/2016 5:32 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Regardless of his steps to stain, finish, and or assemble the Domino makes mortise and tenons very fast and easy.
On Fri, 30 Sep 2016 12:59:19 -0700 (PDT)

easy he is so excited with his festools that he forgot the basics
all the time he saved with the biscuits he lost on staining
but why are barn doors a thing now and why they calling them barn doors
guess they make sense for a large opening but still not going to give much privacy
On Tue, 4 Oct 2016 17:29:31 -0700, Electric Comet

without the pocket.
- They're "industrial" looking, which is in vogue, right now.
- They're a "thing" now because people like them. So what?
They're called "barn doors" because they are barn doors.

bedrooms.
On 10/4/16 10:50 PM, krw wrote:

Who cares, I say. All I know is, in about 15 years I'm going to make a bunch of money replacing them with regular doors once they go out of vogue and everyone realizes what a PITA they are. :-)
--

-MIKE-

Exactly.

The ones that I've seen aren't being used as doors, again, much like pocket doors.
On 10/4/2016 11:13 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

I've installed one in a bedroom, and one in a home office.
Decided after the last one that I will just pass on any future requests.
This one is in the master bedroom. The now have kids, but, when recently asked how it was working out, they don't seem to mind the lack of privacy, so far ...
I'm thinking the kids aren't old enough yet. Just wait.
https://goo.gl/photos/UK3c9Zr9HvorKERDA
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 10/5/16 11:19 AM, Swingman wrote:

Nice work, as usual. I call them "exterior pocket doors." There's always an attraction to "old stuff" with interior decorators. Farm sinks, barn doors, shiplap, and all kinds of things that were done away with for good reason.
As soon as these fads hit the shelves of Lowes & Home Depot is when I know they're on the way out. Like when the Gap starts stocking winter clothing in July. It's too late to be on the cutting edge, you're just on the bandwagon now.
Don't get me wrong, I'll take their money. :-)
--

-MIKE-

That's actually a pretty good application for one. With a conventional door, that space in the corner would be useless.

Why would it afford less privacy? It isn't lockable? Seems a broom stick would solve that. ;-)

On 10/5/2016 2:52 PM, krw wrote:

Not lockable Plus they DO NOT fit tightly against the wall. Almost no sound insulation value. And they can be pushed away from the wall several inches near the bottom. A smart cat will sneak right in. They are more like a room divider on wheels.

Seems like either problem is easily solved. Since many homes have luan/cardboard doors, sound isolation doesn't seem to be a priority. "Sound isolation" in a home is pretty difficult anyway, unless you live next to a freeway.
On 10/5/16 7:37 PM, krw wrote:

Pretty easily solved by putting in a proper fu@%!ng door, yes. :-)
--

-MIKE-

You're not a fan of pocket doors, either, I suppose? Unless Hillary is elected, no one will force them on you. ;-)
On 10/5/16 10:16 PM, krw wrote:

When someone invents one that works... and works as well as a hinged door, I'm all in. :-)
--

-MIKE-

The sound problem is the fact that the door does not fit inside a door jam. Sound can go between it and the wall and typically the door hangs out from the wall about 1". In other words sounds coming from that room is not hindered as much as with a normal closed door.
On Thursday, October 6, 2016 at 12:04:34 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

Open windows don't hinder sound very well either.
Earlier this week SWMBO and I were walking the dog at around 10PM. As we walked past a house with open windows we heard a female voice.
Oh my God! Oh my God! Oh my God! Ohhhh......myyyyy......GGGGOOOODDDD!
We assume she was praying.
On Thu, 6 Oct 2016 04:59:31 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

I would argue that a bedroom door wouldn't hinder such sounds very well, either. Interior doors are about sight and access (grease the doorknobs), not so much sound.
On 10/6/2016 10:34 AM, krw wrote:

Either way, the doors can often not prohibit sight from curious eyes. The doors can often be pushed away from the wall near the floor with as little effort as opening a regular door if it is not latched. Not all barn door installs, especially when two meet in the middle, have the center floor mounted guide installed, to prevent a tripping hazard.
Great, if you like that look, for any room in the house, but IMHO not for the bedroom or bathroom.
If you do not mind something that is a little better than a shower curtain to provide privacy a barn door may be for you.

A floor mounted guide can be installed on the wall side(s), as well. Both, if need be.

Personally, I'd agree but I can be live others have a different opinion and can visualize places were it makes even more sense. Again, I don't barn doors much differently than pocket doors. They may be the best alternative in certain circumstances, OK in others, and Gawd awful in others. Then there is the issue of installation... ;-)

There is no reason for them to be that bad. After all, barn doors keep cows and chickens in. ;-)