Finishing Ipe - Brazilian Walnut

I probably have the spelling entirely wrong.
But the point is - I'm building a mission style bed from Ipe for my son, and I have to ask - what's the best way to finish it?
Oil - if so what kind of oil. - or - Urethane - or - acrylic
or whatever.
Also, it seems that some pieces develop a small sparkly appearance on planed and sanded surfaces within a few days after working. What's up with that?
TIA
Mark

I have to say that just wax does wonders. I turned some on a lathe and rubbed wax on it while it was still spinning and the finish was great. I don't think any varnish is any harder than Ipe...;~) probably would not protect it much.
On Sun, 23 May 2004 23:20:52 -0400, "mhandley"

Whatever sounds much better. How about Tried & True Varnish Oil? Wax on, wax off, grasshoppah.

Silicates, perhaps?
========================================================= I drank WHAT? + http://www.diversify.com --Socrates + Web Application Programming
Larry Jaques wrote:

Lapochol in the pores (substance unique to Ipe, aka Lapacho). Eventually develops a powder. I'd worry about that in indoor furniture--it causes allergic reactions in some people. Stuff also turns red on exposure to alkaline substances such as most cleaners.

--
--John
The current issue of American Woodworker has an article about Ipe.

My experience with Ipe is that the yellowy powder that you are describing is released when a new surface is exposed, such as then cutting or planing. After the initial dust is wiped away or gone it does not seem to reappear again unless the wood is cut or resurfaced again. I think also that it is the yellowy dust that turns blood red when exposed to some liquids including body sweat. I do not recall the blood red problem from the actual wood saw dust or wiped off boards so much as the yellowy dust. Ipe is used extensively for out door decks and I have never read or heard about any problems with the boards becoming "red" stained from cleaning or body sweat.
The first time I worked with Ipe I thought I had severely cut myself because of all the red on my hands on a hot day after resurfacing the wood.
Leon wrote:

Outdoors weathering would tend to remove it. Indoors, I for one would really like to hear from someone who has lived with ipe furniture for a few years.
--
--John

Do you suspect that used indoors with a finish applied that there would still be problems?
Leon wrote:

That's the thing, I dunno, and I'd rather somebody else find out the hard way than end up with a beautiful chair that makes me itch when I sit in it <grin>.
--
--John

;~)
I have used shellac over tung oil on several pieces made from Ipe... the oldest is 7 years old, and looks as good today as the day it dried with the final coat! Tom

Thomas H. Bunetta wrote:

Cool. Thanks for that. What did you do for surface prep?

--
--John