Finishing a cedar chest.

Looking for suggestions on what to use to refinish a cedar chest that I have stripped down. I would like something that has a matte to satin finish.
Thank you

Waterlox satin finish. SH

On 24 Nov 2004 11:14:41 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Ryan Morin) wrote:

A lot depends on what sort of cedar it is. Is it aromatic ? Very soft?
If it's true cedar, Spanish cedar (humidors) or I wanted to preserve the aromatic nature, then I wouldn't finish the insides at all. For the outsides of true cedar I wouldn't use any more than wax on it. For one of the commonplace non true-cedar cedars (WRC, ERC etc.) then they're pretty soft, so I'd want a harder finish. Probably a water based commercial varnish, or a gel poly.
--
Smert' spamionam

While you are at it, make sure the lock does NOT work.
Yesterday I met a guy that lost two grandsons last year. They were playing hide 'n' seek and suffocated. One of the big manufacturers (Lane?) recalled chests because of the locking and deaths. It is one thing to read about these things in the paper, quite another to meet someone living through it. Ed.
Shellac, rub out, and wax. That is actually the traditional finish schedule. You can use the different types of shellac if you want to have some additional color.
Good Luck.