Finish on red cedar in Canada

Hi,
I'm just about to finish a new deck made out of red cedar. I was wondering what would be the best finish to protect it. I'm in Canada so this deck will have to deal with snow/ice at least 4 months per year. Summer can be hot too (30+). The deck is almost full south so it will get from one extreme to the other.
I've seen the Thomson Waterseal ads over and over during the New Yankee Workshop but a friend of fine used some a while ago and the finish remained gummy and never really dried. He had to strip it out. Since it's a new deck, like a new piece of furniture, I don't want to ruin so much work with a poor finish.
Any suggestions?
Greg D.
Hi Greg, I have had good luck with Sikkens products. To do the best job (with any product) you should coat all sides of the lumber after sanding (80 or 100 grit) off the mill glaze. In other words you apply a lot of the finish before assembling thee deck. Horizontal surfaces will need to be redone down the road but that is quite easy. JG