finish for trivet??

can anyone tell me the best finish to use for a trivet

Reply to
Dave

Dave,

I don't know if it is the BEST finish for a trivet, but, I used Butcher's Wax (in the bright orange can) and a paint brush. This was recommended to me from my instructor as I was completing a basic blacksmithing class. All you need to do is wire wheel off all the scale until you are satisfied, then place the trivet on top of the coals for about 10-15 seconds. Don't blow any air into the fire. You just want the trivet warm enough to slightly singe the back of you hand. Then take it out with a pair of tongs and quickly brush on the wax. It will melt nicely and flow into all the cracks and crevices to give it a nice coating. I made mine for my wife 2 years ago and I haven't had to refinish it yet. To refinish, simply rebrush if it needs it and then reheat and rewax. That helps it prevent rust and still keep the silver and black look from the forge.

Hope this helps, Paul

Reply to
paul_bilodeau1

Oooooh I don't know. I made a bunch of trivets for gifts and just put Danish oil on them. I think the maple and Kentucky coffee wood I made them from might have darkened too much if I set them on hot coals. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

the title of this group is rec.woodworking. are you where you think you are?

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Marble

i.e.

I know. But he asked for the best....

I have the marble slightly higher than the wood, so the wood will never burn. I've also seen burned trivets.

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

I use Boiled Linseed Oil, and it has held up fine for several years on the ones we use at home. Haven't had any negative comments from folks who bought them, or received them as gifts, either. One or two coats, them let them "cure" for a week or so.

Ron

Reply to
Ron Kolakowski

Thanks guys for all the help. Some good ideas here ill experiment and find out which i like best. Thanks again dave

Reply to
Dave

Charles - Pardon my ignorance, but how do you cut/incise the wood to inlay the marble (at least the round ones)?

Reply to
secondar

Sorry, I thought was in the BLACKSMITHING group. The nice thing about my steel trivet is that I don't have to worry about ANY of it burning.

Reply to
paul_bilodeau1

I think you use a _ball_-bearing router bit.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

I use a lathe. You could use a template and a router, once you make the template.

Took me a second, Robert. Well done. .... I was taking it for granite that "marble" was a type of material.

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

I understand. I read this right after rec.crafts.metalworking, and lots of the folks are the same, so sometimes I have to double-check to see where I am.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I use stain and poly Mark

Reply to