Finish for red oak on stair treads

Leon. Have you ever had a look at the Cadex nailers? They're a pin nailer that shoots a "slightly headed pin". The key benefit to them is the increased holding power.

Now, I'm wondering how much of a difference there is between the foot print of a regular pinner and one of these "slightly headed pins"?

I've got to say, every time I'm in the market for something new, the internet can be a curse as well as a blessing. There's so many options for stuff these days that it's often a pain to pick something.

Reply to
Dave

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

My red oak stepstool is still the same after finishing years ago with clear shellac. OTOH, an ash shoe bech that I tried to warm up with some orangy shellac initiall turned all kinds of colors, from green to orange, and only later did I get it to just be a warm orange brown. I figure it is interaction between components added to the shellac and resins in the wood that can yield surprises. The advice would likely be a thin (diluted) shellac seal coat that's left to dry before adding more shellac, but I'm FAR from expert.

Reply to
Han

Behlen's Rock Hard =3D phenolic resin. Nice stuff.

Reply to
Father Haskell

Nothing makes red oak glow like amber shellac. It's plenty durable; my oak floors are 40 years old, amber shellac finish, still in good shape. 2 lb cut goes on fast, self-levels, no need to scuff between coats, as with varnish or water based.

Cut the "slickness" by using paste floor wax; these differ from regular wax by addition of silica.

Reply to
Father Haskell

Harder finishes buff to a higher gloss. I can compound shellac (or lacquer) until it looks and feels like glass. Poly will look and feel closer to Saran wrap.

Reply to
Father Haskell

ve an ice cold glass on the floor

Make the kids do the fixing. Won't happen again.

Reply to
Father Haskell

Sure someone mentioned it - but - if you do go with shellac, dewaxed will help it to stand up better to water.

Reply to
Michael Joel

It's pretty nice stuff, but it does scratch somewhat easily compared to oil-based poly floor finish. It's also way too glossy for floor use, IMHO.

-- The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools. -- Herbert Spencer

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Well Mike Marlow, you rascal....

assume you are the one using the scotchbrite... right?

I am now hiding behind my desk so you can't get me.

;^)

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

No Dave I have never see the Cadex in person.

But visiting their site, their 23 gauge brads have a .8mm wide head and the 23 guuge nail is .025" wide. Basically the head is about 1.25 times wider than the nail body. I don't see that as being much difference and likely to only be wider on two sides and the same width on the sides that the nails are attached to each other. Like 18 gauge brads.

Reply to
Leon

Dayum ... went 69 years doing just fine without knowing that. Now I need some mental floss. Ehhh!

Reply to
Swingman

ROTFL! Mike, the quickest fix (to become hetero again) is to remove that damned R. "Scuffing" should suffice for your new word. Should you choose, you could ask a certain someone just how they came to know the meaning of that particular word, hmm?

-- Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have received and am still receiving. -- Albert Einstein

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Well, not being a well traveled or experienced guy, I didn't know what you were talking about.

I thought for years that when the guys said they were getting together with their girlfriends to "hook up" they were taking the boat and trailer out to the lake. Later on, I noticed a pattern of hooking up really late at night with these younsters, and became suspicious.... come to find out they weren't hooking up the boat at all.

So I was thinking that you had flown one right over my head, and I had now missed a vital finishing term, one that would make me a handier guy around the gun. But then.... looked liked those guys were "hooking up" to me. Yikes!!

I just want you to know Mike, I am not being judgmental. To each their own, I say.

Just make sure that when you are getting something hot to drink, that someone doesn't offer to tea bag you... !!!!

Sadly... I am laughing a lot harder about all this than I should.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

This is fine. You're a good sport, BobRobert.

-- Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have received and am still receiving. -- Albert Einstein

Reply to
Larry Jaques

:!) At least you are not "coming out".

Reply to