find a local thickness planer?

Short version:
Is there generally speaking places where i can take my 19"x19"x2" piece of wood and get it planed? (not sure if that's the right terminology, but you get the idea) I'm imagining some sort of woodshop/workshop where you pay to use the machine/services. I live in San Diego, CA, USA if that's helpful. I don't want to have to spend $2,000 or whatever to get a 20" planer.
Longer version:
So, i'm working to build a table go board [1] that's basically 19"x19"x2". I started out with two pieces of basswood thatI i ran through a friend's planer that's i'm guessing 13" wide? I joined the pieces of wood together (using a biscut joiner), and sanded it and gave it one or two coats of polyurethane.
I set aside the project as i had to move, and unfortunately during the move the board got a nice ding in it. So, i'd like to shave off a part of the board to make it level again. I need it pretty level so that i can draw the lines on it - and also for perfectionist reasons.
I'm not sure if planers work well with wood that has a polyurethane coating - or would i have to sand that off first? I also could just try to sand it down evenly, but i'd rather have it properly flat rather than eyeballing it.
Thanks in advance!
[1]: much like the first picture here: http://users.tkk.fi/~kalyytik/goban /

they do that kind of work? Jim
Jim wrote:

Not knowing that local cabinet shops would do that kind of work?
Thanks for the suggestion!
-tg
Jim wrote:

Oh and just to make sure my response didn't seem snarky I really didn't think of asking a local cabinet shop / carpenter. My previous post might have come across as ungrateful, and i just wanted to rectify that.
Thanks again!

In my opinion, a snarky response would have been justified.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: > Short version: > > Is there generally speaking places where i can take my 19"x19"x2" piece > of wood and get it planed? <snip>
Find a drum sanding shop in San Diego.
If none, try Grimminger Drum Sanding in Paramount, Ca.
Lew
Have you tried raising the dent with a damp cloth and a steam iron? If it's a sharp creasw it won't work, but a dent will often swell the concavity.

<snip>
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Joe who's been known to not do that
Joe Gorman wrote:

Yes, unfortunately there's definately a better side and a worse side as far as aesthetics go. I'd really prefer to use the side that's now dented =/
-- tg
You can raise dings out with water and a hot iron. Raw wood because the finish gets in the way of the water. I have had lots of dings pop up with the hot iron which is kind of fun to do.
On 28 Sep 2006 14:37:31 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Try The Hardwood & Hardware Co. 5673 Kearny Villa Rd., San Diego, CA (619) 569-2482. They do milling.
--
Frank Howell

Frank Howell wrote:

awesome, i'll definately give them a call.
Thanks!
--
tg