Finally: a Dust Collector!

I traded a couple peripherals I wasn't using any more plus $70 (tax included) for a Delta AP400 roll around dust collector. It looks to be is really good shape.
Someone must have used it for some drywall work, as there's sheetrock dust around the collars and the bag, so I'm going to take it apart for a good cleaning and probably wash the bags and filters.
I know this is a low end model and not powerful enough for long, multiple runs, so I'll probably set it up close to the CMS and RAS and roll it out to the big power tools when I use them. I'm just excited to have something better than the shop vac for dust collection.
--

-MIKE-

On 11/15/2011 10:30 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

The hook has been set... Shocking how much cleaner the shop is with a dust collector.
On 11/15/11 11:03 PM, Leon wrote:

Looking forward to that.
--

-MIKE-

What? You're not even touting Festools today? I read the leadin and then you stopped. Hmmm, very uncharacteristic of you, Leon. ;)
-- The problem with borrowing money from China is that thirty minutes later, you feel broke again. --Steve Bridges as Obama
-MIKE- wrote:

I don't blame you...the difference is night and day.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

I'm too lazy to look upwhat kind of DC this is. I doadvise to put a cyclone separator before the DC. Just a metal garbage can and lid with a tangential inlet and centered outlet will do it. Or you can buy a lid ...
--
Best regards
Han

is similar to yours, last fall and it came one of the trash-can separators. The separator is the best part of the deal because it keeps you from having to remove the bag (not all that easy). I get about 1-15 trash cans full of debris before I have to pull the bag off. It also keeps hard, heavy objects out of your impeller.
And - NO you cannot put a garbage bag in the trash can to make emptying easier! It is hard to dig the shredded bag out of the blower.
RonB

Correction - 10-15 trash cans....

My lid came free with the Griz 1029 DC, so all I needed to buy was the metal can.
I'm wondering if I should ground...
<bseg>
-- Most powerful is he who has himself in his own power. -- Seneca

I think you should.
--
Best regards
Han

<small smirk>
--
Best regards
Han
On 11/16/11 2:15 PM, Han wrote:

D'OH!
--

-MIKE-

On 11/16/11 2:14 PM, Han wrote:

Yes, for the infamous dust collector explosion that has never been documented nor witnessed. :-)
(where's my popcorn?)
--

-MIKE-

True that probabability of explosion is remote at best. However, you can get a really great zap which isn't nice.
I am sure lots o' people are aware of Bill Pentz, the guru of dust collecting. I used the anti-static method he mentions here on his site and have never had a single shock. Scroll down to section F. http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/ducting.cfm#StaticElectricity
Awesome site by the way. Pretty much everything (and I mean everything) you could ever want to know about dust collection.
"Han" wrote in message

I think you should. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes indeed. Ground it to the mailbox.
--
Best regards
Han

For safety's sake, don't use anything conductive. Conductive things conduct electricity which could kill you!
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Ground it with an insulated material.