Fein Multimaster Vs Dremel

I plan to purchase a Fein Multimaster for $400 unless I can convince myself that the new Dremel knock off can do the job and I think there may be one other knock off . Anyone have good or bad info on the knock offs. I like the offset cutting ability and worry about the less power in the knock offs.

Reply to
henry

I'd worry more about the availability and cost of blades.

You've got several options.

The Dremel is not exactly a knockoff--it works on the same principles but doesn't use the same blades and as far as I know there is no adapter available that allows Fein blades to be used.

The Harbor Freight

seems to be a straight knockoff, but runs at only half the speed. I haven't seen any real feedback on it and having bought a Fein some years back have no incentive to risk the 70 bucks to see (by the way, you missed the Black Friday sale when it was down to 40) but it does have the advantage of costing less than a tank of gas did in recent memory.

The "Rockwell"

(no relation to the company that built the Space Shuttle and at one time owned Delta) runs at about the same speed as the Fein and supposedly can use Multimaster blades with an adapter
also has one, a cordless called the "Multi-X"
Whether it can use Fein blades I have no idea.

The new Fein has one feature that the others lack that IMO makes it worth the money--a quick toolless blade change mechanism--it seems unimportant until you've lived with one for a while. I'm tempted to sell mine and get the new one just for that.

Note that if you are going for any of them you are generally best off buying the largest kit, as the accessories tend to come cheaper that way, in the case of the Fein a _lot_ cheaper.

Don't worry overly much about power. This is not a brute-force type of tool--less power just means that you go slower.

Reply to
J. Clarke

"henry" wrote

Something else to consider:

Swingman

I would probably buy the knockoffs as sanders. As much as I like to save a buck, I can't imagine the blades of the knockoffs living up to the Fein blades. Not for quality (or for cost!).

until I bought those two little Ridgid drills that use the Li batteries. They are 12v as well, and they have a very surprising amount of power.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Look at the Bosch Multi-X as a third alternative

Bob Haar

should look into that as well, Karl.

It can be found here, too:

(copied from an earlier post in this thread. Ahem....)

I also saw it here:

am sitting here laughing my ass off thinking .... jeez... does anyone read any of these posts before they reply?

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Definitely do not waste your money on a single-speed Fein. Useless for just about anything you might want to try, short of cutting balsa.

Spring for the variable speed, and you may as well save some money and buy the Dremel. You'll buy at least 2 for the price of the Fein. And hang onto your hat when you go to buy blades!!!!!!!!

Reply to
clare

There is no single-speed corded Fein in current production. The two models are the FMM 250 and the FMM 250 Q, with the difference being that the Q has the quick change mechanism. They do have a single-speed cordless.

Reply to
J. Clarke

wrote

LOL ... not unusual on Usenet, where the urge to post oftentimes overrides the urge to piss ...

Reply to
Swingman

My brother bought a single speed cordless a few years ago. As a sander itis too fast and burns everything. As a saw ditto.

Reply to
clare

I have a Dremmel and it does all the jobs I throw at it. However, my brother says he has burned out many Dremmels. Fein is good quality, but I can think of better ways to stretch $400. I use the Dremmel tool more than I thought I would, and only wish I had bought one years ago.

Reply to
Phisherman

When you say "Dremel" do you mean the electric imitation die grinder or do you mean the Multimaster clone? Hard to imagine your brother burning out "many" of the multimaster clones considering that it's only been on the market for a year or so. But if he has burned out "many" in that time then that's a good reason to stay away from it.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I needed a saw to undercut door jambs for a hardwood floor. I bought a Bosch reciprocating jamb saw for $105 at Lowe's and it is nice. Finished the remaining doors in no time. You can lay a stick of the flooring beside the jamb and use it as a guide. It didn't even scratch the flooring.

Reply to
Gerald Ross