face frames, PH vs. biscuit

Is there any advantage of pocket holes versus biscuits for face frame joints?

Reply to
habbi

Maybe. Depends on how well you intend on attaching them to the cabinet. If they're glued to it, biscuits are more than enough, even if you put them at right angles to the joint from the rear.

The less support the joint has from the cabinet, the more you want to consider the shear strength of the pocket holes, though I'd bet that biscuits attached in the conventional way are as strong in shear, just lacking in pull-out.

Reply to
George

Speed in building and the ability to make face frame pieces as narrow as you want. No waiting on glue to dry.

Reply to
Leon

Since you only see the face, biscuits half way into the backs of the pieces trimmed flush will also work. Maybe not as well as into the ends, but if glued/fixed to the carcass, good enough.

Reply to
George

"habbi" wrote in news:d9HRd.4810$oh4.184828@ursa- nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca:

Use both, where applicable.

Biscuits align easier. Pocket screws 'clamp' faster.

If you're doing hundreds, speed matters a lot. If you're doing your own kitchen, once, you can afford to move a bit more slowly.

Patriarch, also a fan of good assembly tables with clamping points...

Reply to
Patriarch

I beg to differ with that. I have a kreg "pro pack" The clamp that comes with the system makes alignment flawless which is more than I can say for my biscuit execution.

YMMV.

-Steve

Reply to
C & S

"C & S" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news2.newsguy.com:

It does. So what? Use what works for you.

I have no monopoly on truth.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch