F'd up ply

Page 1 of 2
Just pulled a sheet of ply I had laying around. Made in Canada by Columbia.. From the cut I made the thickness varies in the piece by 1/32. I have not seen that b4. I cut it, it's supposed to fit in a dado, and it does on one side, but not on the other... when I put a caliper on it the answer my friend was blowing in the wind.. it wasn't me for a change..
--
Jeff

On 2/18/2014 1:12 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Yep, feel your pain ... something you have to deal with, plywood, or dimensioned wood.
Too thick, easy to sand down a bit in the appropriate spot; too thin, out comes shims/shavings/filler/combination thereof to fill the gap.
It's bad when thickness changes sheet to sheet, but can be expected and planned for by buying enough of the same stack/batch to finish a project.
A bitch when thickness varies in the same damn sheet.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 2/18/2014 2:44 PM, Swingman wrote:

plywood. During my first project with lots of dadoes, I found that one of the three sheets was thicker than the other two (bought at the same time). The discrepancy was large enough to prevent the thicker ones from fitting in the dadoes I had cut.
I had to test each piece, mark the dadoes that needed to be expanded (I believe it was something like 8 out of 40) and then line each one up in the dado jig to make a very fine extra pass with a router.
On 2/18/2014 3:14 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

sheet is just wrong.
--
Jeff

On 2/18/2014 1:12 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Now we know where that imported plywood comes from, I always assumed it was from China. ;~)
On Tuesday, February 18, 2014 7:02:15 PM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

I was at one of the local lumber yards here last week to get a special size d door for a retro and was talking to them about their recent push to sell plywood. According to them (Roddis Lumber - you may have them in Houston) their plywood comes from different sources. A lot of hardwood faced materi als come from our Canadian brothers. These guys have some overseas stuff, but strangely not much from South America.
That stuff they have been selling at HD for the last 10-12 years is from Ch ile and has some kind of white face on it that resembles a very poor exampl e of birch. I don't know what it is, but the only thing I can put on it wh en finishing is a quick dry product. I don't know what kind of wood they u se for that face, but it has to be something very soft as it is a cut venee r that must be (literally) about 1/64 thick. And with the inconsistency of the the underlayment, I have actually sanded through the veneer several ti mes. OK for a utility cab that I am painting, nasty for some better work.
At this time, I don't know that they carry any wood products from North Ame rica except their structural members and structural plywoods.
Robert
On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 23:07:54 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

carcasses, seems to do fine for that, never tried any other finish.
basilisk

I hate to day this but I find that it is a 50/50 chance that imported might be better than domestic.
On 2/18/2014 7:02 PM, Leon wrote:

Columbia Forest Products are made in the US and Canada. One of the reasons I generally like them for utility oak plywood, plus the fact that are glued without formaldehyde based glues.
That said, and ironically enough, the plywood I seem to have the most consistency with, fewer voids, and at a better price, is indeed the ubiquitous, utility plywood - "China Birch".
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 2/19/14, 4:20 PM, Swingman wrote:

As I've lamented before, it seems to vary, lot to lot. A few years back I shared my angst over the China Birch I got that wasn't even friggin SQUARE or straight.
--

-MIKE-

On 2/19/2014 2:20 PM, Swingman wrote:

Home Depot had a pallet load of what looked like nice plywood this past fall. It was labeled "cabinet grade" and the description was maple on one side and birch on the other.
It "looked" great and it was $38 a sheet for 3/4" plywood.
Wellllll, this past week I finally got around to cutting some of that plywood.
ALL of the outer edges looked great with what appeared to be 13 ply plywood.
The voids didn't show up till a few rips later when I noticed that several pieces has ugly looking edges.
To say I was "miffed" would be a mild understatement.
Soooo, I now have some nice $38 firewood.
Sometimes, I just never learn.......
On 2/26/2014 2:54 PM, Pat Barber wrote:

Feel your pain ... although, just bought (on Sunday when all the other suppliers are closed and I needed a sheet of paint grade, now) 4x8x3/4" "cabinet grade" Pine (of all things) plywood from Home Depot for $33.97.
I was pleasantly surprised - flat, square, and the few voids were relatively minor:
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopBRRemodel2014?noredirect=1#
Columbia Forrest Products, formaldehyde free ... you pays your money and you takes your chances.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 2/26/14, 3:18 PM, Swingman wrote:

About 5 years ago HD had a pallet of cabinet birch, 13 ply for $23 a sheet! I took one home purely out of curiosity. I cut that bad boy up for a couple projects over the course of the next week and it was better than some sheets I've paid 70 bucks for.
I went back to HD and looked all over for it but it was gone. I was going to buy every last sheet they had. I asked the guy at the contractor desk about it and he said the pricing, in fact the delivery of the stuff, was a big mistake and they sold out of it that day. He said they mistake price was about 50% of their cost. :-)
--

-MIKE-

On 2/26/2014 5:32 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

I guess I could live with defects at that price. You sound like you had none....
--
Jeff

On 2/26/14, 4:59 PM, woodchucker wrote:

It would be a gloat if I had the chance to load up on the stuff. Now it's just a regret. :-)
--

-MIKE-

In your area, do you not have a choice of suppliers? (and quality of veneered plywood?)
I mostly buy from one supplier for convenience sake where I live, but I have bought from other suppliers on occasion too. I can't remember the last time I got veneered plywood with voids in it. I mostly gauge the quality of the plywood I buy on how thin or thick the top layer of veneer is.
It sounds like that there's a collected habit of dumping cheap product on the US market by what you've said about your plywood.

Basically the veneer is less than paper thin now.
--
Jeff

Must be a pain when sanding and finishing. Many are running a business so costs are always of a concern. I build has a hobbyist for myself and I've spent as much as $125 for a sheet of oak veneered plywood and for that price, the plywood better damned well be absent of voids and have a thicker top veneer with good book matched patterns.
Initially, I started looking for thicker veneer when I began to use a blind nailer for attaching plywood. I abandoned that process after I bought my Festool Domino.
On Thu, 27 Feb 2014 06:47:46 -0500, woodchucker wrote:

That's been my experience as well. I just bought some 3/4" birch plywood from Home Depot for $52 a sheet. I cut it all up for bookcase carcases and shelves and found almost no voids. What voids did exist were very small.
It was basically good one side, but I found enough good two sides for the four ends (one row of 5 cases, one row of 2) that would be exposed.
Luckily, the good sides were smooth enough that a ROS pass with 180 and another with 220 grit sufficed. The veneer would not have survived any serious sanding.
--
Where have all the flowers gone? Pete Seeger 1919-2014

On 2/27/14 4:47 AM, woodchucker wrote:

The oak veneer I've been using of late is so thin, you can see the masonite underply through the pores in the oak grain.
-Bruce
--- ---