exterior wood door stain

Hi all, it's been a while since I posted. We just moved into a new house (ironically we sold the last one almost the same day I finished the built in cabinets and computer desk in the old one), so I've been pulled away from woodworking due to plumbing, electrical and painting issues.

One of the first things I noticed about the home when I went to see it was the solid wood front door and sidelights. The guy who owned the house before me clearly didn't do much of anything in the form of maintenance. As a result, the clear coat on the front door deteriorated from the sun, especially at the bottom.

I applied a dark walnut stain yesterday, and it came out great, except at the very bottom, which was more faded then the rest. I've read that if you sand with a coarser sandpaper, the stain will be absorbed deeper into the wood.

So my question is, if I re-sand the faded area with a coarser paper and re-apply the stain, will I be better able to even out the stain.

For technical info, the door and sidelights are oak with raised panels (and raised molding around the panels). It is set into a portico (that's what I call it, but it set into the house a little) and as such, isn't exposed to water, but it does take quite a bit of sunlight.

After I get the stain right, I'm planning on spraying on a few coats of Spar Urethane.

Any thoughts?

Chuck

Reply to
Woodchuck34