Entry Door - Transom Framing

Hi. I'm preparing to build an entry door frame for a refinished door I picked up (and refinished) at a local salvage yard. I'm including a transom above the door, similar in fashion to what would have originally been on the house. The transom will operate.

I'm okay with the basic jamb construction--5/4 lumber all around. I've built a few interior frames. What I'm not sure of is the framing between the door and transom. I've seen a few different styles--some with decorative molding, some very plain, but I don't know how any of them were put together.

Has anybody here built a jamb with transom, and if so could you provide me with details of that frame section? I just need to see a detail so I can understand it and adapt it to my situation.

Some other details of note:

-The jamb will be an odd width (6 1/8 inches) to match my old framing & plaster exterior wall

-The door is under a porch and will see minimal weather

-The frame will be painted white; the door will be a dark stain.

My fingers are crossed. Thanks!

Brian

Reply to
Brian