Dust Collector Whistling

I just converted my 1 HP portable dust collector to a two stage unit with a 'regulation' size bag.
The good news is that it seems to suck fairly well, almost as good as running with no bag. Whereas the suction with the mini bag was pathetic. The bad news is that the hose whistles like a banshee now with the table saw reducer attached (2.25"). I'm not sure if it's whistling through the opening or around the connection, but I suspect the opening.
Any thoughts on reducing this noise? It's intolerable, even with the ears on.

Get a roll of aluminum tape and start going over connections, you will find it. I would guess a connection, that is what is was for me.
Good luck.
Bill Stock wrote:

if it's the reducer, retrofit a 4" port on the TS. what kind of TS do you have that has such a small port??
dave
Bill Stock wrote:

Bill Stock wrote:

I'd recommend a full-sized port on the TS.
-- Mark

Toss some crackers in. It's impossible to whistle with crackers in the mouth.
Barry
Bill Stock wrote:

Are yours removable?
Mike: I'll try the Duct tape. But I was hoping for a more flexible (adaptable) solution.
BAD & Mark: It's a Ryobi, so I'm stuck with the 2.25. Although I could go to the outside of the port, which gives me 2.75. I've never seen this size reduce and it binds the blade tilt.
JR: Are the crackers for me or the DC?
Nova: The ears came from Mickey, with my name and everything. Don't seem to help the noise much though.
--
BS

"Nova" < snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net...

Both!
The collector can't whistle if it's "eating" crackers, an your crunching will make the noise less evident.
The other guys have given you excellent tips... <G>
Barry

Is the hose the small 2.5" diameter, or the bigger one reduced all at once, with no small hose?
A small hose with rings (I don't know if it will do it with a spiral hose) will sing like crazy, if the velocity is high enough.
Reduce small hose to only a couple inches , or eliminate it, or try a different hose, like from a vacuum cleaner, or make an intentional air leak before the reduction, to slow the velocity in the hose.
DAMHIK
--
Jim in NC

I believe that (make an intentional leak or opening another blast gate) is the answer. Too much air passing through a small passage will cause a high pitched whistle. Cheers, JG
Morgans wrote:

Thanks JG and Jim.
The drop from 4" to 2.5" OD is made using one of the standard reducers. So the length of the actual 2.5" fitting is less than two inches and very smooth. I taped up the fitting with some Duct Tape and the pitch of the sound has dropped quite a bit. So I guess some of the air was leaking around the fitting. Although it's still a bit annoying even with the ears. Actually attaching it to the saw port, seems to drop the pitch a little more.
On a side note, one of my SA friends suggested that I drill some holes in the fitting and experiment with the shape of the opening to see if I could play a tune.
As for making intentional leaks, I understand where you're going with this. But, I had read that I would need 1.5 HP and a 12" impeller to create enough CFM and Static Pressure to handle the Table Saw. Since I'm now where near this now, I guess I'll have to live with the improved noise.
--

"JGS" < snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca...
Try teaching it the words