Dust Collector Recoomedation

I suppose I should classify myself as a newbie, still in the process of equipping my shop. I'm planning a retirement soon and hope to spend lots of time in my shop. I am not a professional woodworker, but I like quality stuff. So far for major equipment, I have a Delta Unisaw w/52"Bies, Powermatic 14' bandsaw w/riser, and Dewalt 13" planer. I just recently ordered a Powermatic 60B 8" jointer and Delta drillpress.

Now I'm shopping for a dust collector. I shopped and shopped but can't make up my mind. Maybe you folks can help.

Here are my questions:

Do I want an inexpensive 1.5 horsepower, 115 volt unit which I roll around in my shop, such as the Delta 50-850, or Jet 1100A, or JDS Dust Force, or Grizzly G1028Z?

I am concerned about health risks and want sub-micron filtering, but should I go with above inexpensive units and add on sub-micon bags, or canister filters, or is there something more suited for my shop?

Or should I go to the next level to the 2 horsepower 220 volt units such as the Grizzly G1029Z with .3 Micon bags? I really like that one but the 220 circuit would have to be added, and do I want to go to that much trouble for a roll around unit? If I have to add the circuit, why not go with a stationary unit such as the Grizzly G0525 Cyclone Dust Collector?

Decisions, decisions. One of the problems I have is that it seems that all of the reviews I can google, are from people who have used only the one system which they own and have no frame of reference to compare it to other equivalent systems, other than the shop vac they were using before they bought their X brand collector.

So there you have my current dilemma. I know I sound indecisive, that's my nature. But any advice from the experts will certainly be appreciated.

Gary

Reply to
Gary

Any of the choices you outline will do the job. How much money do you want to throw at it?

If I had the money and was buying today, I'd go with the canister version. Since you will be running one machine at a time, not a production shop, even the smaller nits will work. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Gary,

Since you want a quality system - have you looked at the Oneida systems? They're located in Syracuse, NY but obviously ship all over and I believe their systems are rebadged now by a few other resellers. So shopping around may save some money but I believe dealing directly with Oneida will get you a better designed system tailored to your needs with fewer hassles.

Not to many in the group will have the experience (save a few) with all the systems you're asking about but hopefully, the ones that have will respond to your questions. It appears you did do some research but you didn't mention about reading any reviews from the trade magazines (FWW, AW) which have done some comparison tests. This has been one subject that has been consistently discussed in the group. There are so many options with the DC itself being only part of the equation. Size, length and type of duct pipe runs, elbow's, blast gates, type of flex-hose, connections, etc. all need to be considered to build an effective DC system.

Can you slap one together yourself and will it work - certainly. Now if you really want it to work to maximum effectiveness - talk to the experts that design and build DC's. There are others besides Oneida

Ph 800-732-4065 but I get a nickel for everyone I send to their site..... (not really).

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

"Gary"

No expert, but you might want to look at an air cleaner as well. No matter how good your bag and/or DC is, there will still be dust everywhere in the air while you are working.

I prefer a DC that rolls around, mostly because I have a small space. I think space for a decent DC system is most people's deciding factor. If I had more room, I'm pretty sure I'd go with something larger and more permanent simply to avoid disconnecting that hose and moving it between machines - no big deal in the first place, really, though....

- Nate

Reply to
Nate B

I agree with Ed. It's a question of value vs. effectiveness. How much is clean air worth to you? Whatever system you get, install it thoughtfully and carefully, with a thought for future additions. Use the best quality blast gates you can get. It is noisy, keep that in mind when placing it. Wire it so it can be turned on easily or remotely.

Dave

Reply to
TeamCasa

appreciated.

I agree. I want the cleanest air for the money. I just don't want to be short sighted and buy a $300 roll around now if I find out later I want a fully functional ducted system. If that's what its going to be, then I feel I should take the larger hit now.

I like the canister type dust collectors out now but they only filter down to about 2 micon particles. Isn't the sub-micron dust the primary health hazard? Would it be optimal to use the canister collector, then place a quality air filter in the shop also? Would that take care of the messy fallout left all over everything overnight?

Gary

Reply to
Gary

Most dust collectors are poorly named. They should be called shaving collectors, since they really don't filter out the fine, dangerous dust.

Oneida and Woodsucker make two units that actually filter out dust. Make sure to use good quality ductwork as well.

Not true. A well designed unit does indeed capture everything. But you get what you pay for.If the job is done right, then there is not need for an airborne filter system. Those ar epopular, because the Grizzly and other type of "collectors" and the exhaust ports for most machines simply don't work right.

If you have the money, but are not sure what to do, Oneida will sell and design you a complete system. Including ductwork, all top quality.

Reply to
DarylRos

Sounds like you're serious enough to benefit from some reading at:

at:
getting the small particles that really count with respect to various health hazards takes some serious planning. Doubly a concern if you anticipate working with any of the wood species that can produce allergic/toxic reactions. Some links to the latter are at:
Merrill

Reply to
David Merrill

I have a Penn State. Used it 120v, then later converted it to 240v. You may want to look for that option. A pre-filter, or drop box, is important as it protects the DC's propeller. No matter how careful, a tool or chunk of wood will find its way into the DC. Get at least a

1.5 HP, 2 HP is better although there is a little more noise. About $350. Grizzly is good. A shop air filter is a wise investment, and you can build one yourself that accepts disposable furnace filters. About $200. You can use a large box fan and bungee cord filters to it until you build or buy one. Finally, buy a quality dust mask, the kind that fits around your face and has a 2-way valve (about $50)--your lungs will thank you.

Reply to
Phisherman

Gary, I too want clean shop air. I opted of the ducted system to each machine and the 2 hp Delta. (Some of the machines get a universal hose.) I also live in So.Cal and can have my garage door open when I work. I use fans to move most of the air out and a dust mask when I do any sanding.

I am particularly careful with sawdust/chip build-up as I also do a fair amount of welding/metal work. However, the residual dust does collect and I have to go over the shop with compressed air. (w/dust mask)

Prior to applying any finish, I blast the shop several times and let it stand overnight before applying any products.

I do not wear a class 4 bio-suit, but I like to think I am somewhat reasonable about dust control. I guess I'll find out in twenty or thirty years!

Dave

Reply to
TeamCasa

Reply to
Mark L.

You've invested in some nice power tools. It would be a real shame to saddle yourself with moving a portable collector from tool to tool. I think you will curse the day you decided to shortcut for that approach. I invested in a fixed network and praise the decision. Prior to that dust was ruining my enjoyment working in the shop, not to mention my health. My biggest beast was the tablesaw. It took a custom built two port system (one below the blade and one at the blade) to finally tame it. I could not have done that with a portable system. I also have a ceiling mounted air filtration system but hardly ever use it since I got all the dust collection working properly.

BTW, I have a 2hp canister unit. One thing it does very well is maintain performance consistency.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Davis

LOL! Oh, so you haven't heard about the new Powermatic? Heck, I can cut out the whole side of a house in one panel. Works great, but its a bear handling the material. (teehee)

Gary

Reply to
Gary

Hey, thanks everyone for the good advice. Checking my shop this morning, I noted that I have a corner available that I can reasonably easily build a closet and wire for 220, so I think I will go with maybe a 2-3hp unit, metal duct (I have a friend in the hvac business and has a nice sheet metal shop), and trash-can cyclone(?).

Now to decide which brand? Filter type? I like the canister type but am concerned about only 2 micron filtering, clearing (some reviewers say they clogged frequently and have to be disassembled to clean), and durability/ replacement cost.

Gary

Reply to
Gary

Gary: I am retired...have been since the day I turned 55 in

1998.... and you bet I use the shop, almost daily.... Wife swares I live out there...

Two things come to mind... 1st ..I though I had enough rough lumber stockpiles (several thousand BF to last me a long long time... WRONG ! )... stock 3 lifetimes worth of wood....

Next on the Dust Collectors.... I run a two...

One is a samller 1 Hp unit (Penn State) that handles only my Planer and my Joiner or my maid Router Table The other is a Griz 1029 2 Hp unit... that handles all the other machines in the shop...

The Griz "sucks" 3 times as much as the little one... (only a comparison by the amout of suction I feel not volume of air etc.. only a subjective test..

I also have a Delta Air filter hung high in the shop and a home made (with squirrel cage blower etc) unit sitting low in the shop...

NOW to be perfectly frank I am not at all worried about my health... I am now in my 60's... hell I have 20 years at the most to live and I do not think I will shorten my life by more then a year by worring about dust in my lungs ...damn grown children put more problems on my HEART then I could ever put dust into my lungs...(Sorry I love the kids...lol)

I also set up a central vac system in my shop uisng The bergs 1 1/2 in tubing and blast gates hooked up to my shop vac which I keep outside in a small storage room...controilled by a wireless switch... no more draging teh vac arounf...1 hose can be plugged into any of about a dozen gates and can reach any place in the shop...

My concers were really my happiness...and I am very happy working, playing around, goofing off or hiding in a clean shop... just so much more relaxing...

Go for a 220V system if you can...IF you are really worried about your health then the cyclone is the way to go

My point is basically Smile Be Happy.... what ever floats your boat...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

On 3 Aug 2004 22:16:34 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Bob Davis) wrote: [snip]

Bob, care to post pictures of the completed blade guard?

-- John, in Minnesota

Reply to
John, in MN

I didn't take this advice when I bought my Jet canister DC, but if I had a buddy with a sheet metal shop, I'd probably have given more serious thought to building a cyclone. There's loads on info on it at

'm assuming when you say trash-can cyclone that you mean trash-can separator to drop the heavy stuff before it gets to the dust collector impeller.

FWIW, I'd also go with an ambient air cleaner as well to pick up as much of the stuff that the dust collector doesn't get. You should be able to get the main component, a blower, from your HVAC buddy.

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

But what do you use for a shop, a blimp hangar?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Like Todd, I got a JET canister DC and if I were to do it over, I would either build a cyclone or spent the extra money to get a cyclone. In fact, I plan on building a cyclone using my JET's impeller and motor with Bill Pentz's info.

Reply to
Newbie Woodworker